Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Goodison

Forwarded message from Sarah Goodison.

I have come to a dead end with the Goodison line. I found a marriage record for a Benjamin Goodison on the 13th Feb 1837 at Ecclesfield to a Eliza Padley. I really would like to obtain the actual marriage certificate but can't find this on BMD. Should I write to the Church in that area and see if they can check the records? I have been trying to find out his birth parents. I have found several baptisms for a Benjamin Goodison but wondered if the marriage documents would give the father's name?
Any help appreciated.

Regards

Sarah Goodison

There are NO certificates as Civil Registration started in the Sep qtr of 1837.
The marriage is on line with FMP but if you check Family Search you will find the marriage.
No fathers are listed at that time. No hint from the witnesses names.
The name is Goodinson on the marriage entry.

Check out our 1841 census index over to the left.. Benjamin's age is listed as 25 in 1841. (1816)
I believe there is a baptisms for 1813 at St Mary's Ecclesfield.

Just a nudge for you to look into.

Re: Goodison

Hi Sarah

That marriage took place just prior to civil registration so thats why it doesn't appear on BMD. There isn't a certificate only a parish record.

This parish record doesn't capture any fathers details unfortunately. There are just 2 witnesses - Joseph Spooner and John Gould.

Denise

An Ann Goodison birth registered in quarter 4 1837 at Ecclesfield, Her mother's maiden name was Padley. (Volume 22 page 131) and she was baptised at St Marys Ecclesfield on 18th February 1838, parents Benjamin (grinder) and Eliza, residence Stannington. In quarter 4 of 1839 Maria Goodinson's birth was registered, mother's maiden name Padley. At the 1841 the family were at Hangsmoor, Stannington, next door neighbour was Jonathan Gould (a witness at their wedding?) There was a Joseph Spooner, possibly the other witness, living at Upper Gate Stannington in 1841 along with numerous other Goodisons) By 1851, living at Knowl Top, Stannington, Benjamin now a labourer, the family had further children: Alfred 1842, Elizabeth 1844, Alexander 1846 and Emily 1851 . Daughter Ann (22, daughter of Benjamin a table knife grinder) married William Pagdin (20, cab driver) on 28th August 1860 at St.John's, Park. At the 1861 census the family were still at Knowl Top, Benjamin now a road repairer. 1871 at Knowl Top but Eliza absent visiting in Nether Hallam. 1881 still at Knowl Top with Eliza.

Benjamin Goodison born 9th March 1813 son of Jacob, a grinder, and Ann baptised at St Marys. Ecclesfield on 2nd June 1813. He died in quarter 3 1883. In October 1882 Benjamin Goodison, a Stannington labourer, was in court accused of attempted suicide. An interesting newspaper report, states that he had a wife and 9 children, but didn't blame them for his problems (alcohol was involved)

Other children of Benjamin and Eliza were : Ezra born Q1 1848 died Q3 1850, Lavinia born Q3 1856, Lucy born Q2 1852 , Frederick Q3 1854

Jacob Goodison married Elizabeth Bradshaw on 5th February 1794 at St Nicholas' Bradfield. As a widower he married Ann Bower, a widow, at Sheffield on 19th July 1810. Jacob was buried aged 42 at St Mary's Ecclesfield on 21st January 1816

Ted
An Ann Goodison birth registered in quarter 4 1837 at Ecclesfield, Her mother's maiden name was Padley. (Volume 22 page 131) and she was baptised at St Marys Ecclesfield on 18th February 1838, parents Benjamin (grinder) and Eliza, residence Stannington. In quarter 4 of 1839 Maria Goodinson's birth was registered, mother's maiden name Padley. At the 1841 the family were at Hangsmoor, Stannington, next door neighbour was Jonathan Gould (a witness at their wedding?) There was a Joseph Spooner, possibly the other witness, living at Upper Gate Stannington in 1841 along with numerous other Goodisons) By 1851, living at Knowl Top, Stannington, Benjamin now a labourer, the family had further children: Alfred 1842, Elizabeth 1844, Alexander 1846 and Emily 1851 . Daughter Ann (22, daughter of Benjamin a table knife grinder) married William Pagdin (20, cab driver) on 28th August 1860 at St.John's, Park. At the 1861 census the family were still at Knowl Top, Benjamin now a road repairer. 1871 at Knowl Top but Eliza absent visiting in Nether Hallam. 1881 still at Knowl Top with Eliza.

Benjamin Goodison born 9th March 1813 son of Jacob, a grinder, and Ann baptised at St Marys. Ecclesfield on 2nd June 1813. He died in quarter 3 1883. In October 1882 Benjamin Goodison, a Stannington labourer, was in court accused of attempted suicide. An interesting newspaper report, states that he had a wife and 9 children, but didn't blame them for his problems (alcohol was involved)

Other children of Benjamin and Eliza were : Ezra born Q1 1848 died Q3 1850, Lavinia born Q3 1856, Lucy born Q2 1852 , Frederick Q3 1854

Jacob Goodison married Elizabeth Bradshaw on 5th February 1794 at St Nicholas' Bradfield. As a widower he married Ann Bower, a widow, at Sheffield on 19th July 1810. Jacob was buried aged 42 at St Mary's Ecclesfield on 21st January 1816
Wow Ted,

Thank you so much for your help.

I will follow up.

Regards

And thanks to everyone else..I can now access the website again

Ted, Where can I find the newspaper report about his attempted suicide?

Sarah

Hello Sarah,

Link to the article :

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/ofo7e2tpdqv0vr4a6q7o3/Goodison-1882.png?rlkey=089la8plrs51osxncmg6d8aa0&dl=0