Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Joshua Willey born 1780

Joshua Willey baptised bapteised on 25 Dec 1780 in Greasbrough, Rotherham and it shows parents were Jno and Ann

I presume Jno is a variation of John and therefore was trying to find a marriage.

Two possibilites I found one in Treeton in 1765 and one in Rotherham in 1768

The latter says John Willey married ann Pattrick

Do other indexers think the 1768 marriage is Joshua's parents and hence therefore I am going down the correct route.

John

Re: Joshua Willey born 1780

John check when the first child was born. That might help.

Elaine.

This is the problem, I do not know what number child he is. Not touched this line for ages so will try and find my info from years ago to see if it rattles the old brain cells.

John

Jno is usually short for Johnathan

Suggestions for you to look into John.

Check out our 1841 census index. Matching the piece numbers up so you get the same family. Joshua is there.

Looks like they came from Greasborough in Rotherham. I don't know the churches for that area but you can check it out with Family Search OR FreeReg.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thanks Elaine, yes he did come from Greasbrough and married Judith Frith in 1801.

I have only found three definite children the first one on my list was born in 1821 but there must be loads more,

The definite person on the line is Joshua Willey born in 1823 who married Annis Hawke in 1842.

Joshua born 1780 died in 1852,

I need to find more children of the marriage to Judith unless of course I have got the wrong Judith.

I do not think I have touched this part of the family since I had access to the internet so its back to the 100% person I know and retrace my steps in case I have made a big mistake.

John

This site might help.

https://www.familysearch.org/en/wiki/Greasbrough,_Yorkshire_Genealogy

I believe the church is St Mary's but I could be wrong.

Yes you need to go back and start again because if you look at the 1841 census (and its him) his wife's name is Judith.

Elaine.

I have found a cd for Greasbrough and it names 6 children the earliest born in 1812 but they were all baptied in 1837.

I am wondering therefore have I found the wrong Joshua and Judith marriage for 1801 or were there more children but not born in the Greasbrough area.

Elaine I shall send you a scan of the marriage cert for Joshua Willey born 1822 to Annis Hawke which I know is definitely on the branch of the tree....that is when I have found it haha

I am wondering have I missed something obvious

John

Thats OK John I don't need it.

Is that family on the 1841 census yours? If not there are a number of them on Family Search but you have to do the searching.

Joshua and Judith were married in Rotherham Minster in 1801. St Mary's didn't open until 1826 probably one of the reasons for not having the children baptised as infants.

So decide if they are the right family or not and yes you probably need to come forward one generation.

Elaine.

Just need to check on fmp on 1841 census to see if they were butchers if yes then its the family