Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Parents of Grace Flint born 1874

Grace Flint was born in Jul 1874. In 1891 she had a child out of wedlock and in 1894 she married Arthur Rotherham.

From her marriage cert it says her father was called Charles.

Looking at the 1881 census I think I have found her with a father Charles and a mother Esther.

From this site a Charles Flint married in 1870 a Esther STANFIELD.

I then looked on the GRO index to confirm this and there is no Grace Flint listed with a mmn STANFIELD.

There is one though with a mmn STANIFORTH.

Question are her parents Charles and Esther Stanfield or STANIFORTH.

has the index been transcibed wrongly or have the GRO made an error.

Your thoughts please>

John

Re: Parents of Grace Flint born 1874

John

The marriage is also on FMP and the bride is called Esther Nield STANFIELD

Angela

Cheers Dave will try to find in 1871. Need to see if I can find Esther's birth record but I think it was not registered.

The person registering the death could have made the error made the error. Two of her siblings are registered mmn Stanfield and one as Stansfield
Dave

I think I have made a complete fool on this.

I believe Grace had a child James William Flint in 1891 out of wedlock.

In 1901 James was with George and Jemima and is related as grandson.

In 1911 James is with Arthur and Grace Rotherham (transcribed wrong for grace) and it says she had been married 17 years. It also says Grace born in 1871.

Found a marriage for a Grace Flint, in 1894 to a Arthur Rotherham states she was 23 and no father listed.

I have therefore ruled out now the Charles and Esther connection but I can't find a birth on the GRO for a Grace Flint born 1871 with no mother's maiden name.

I can therefore only assume she was registered with her mother's maiden name and changed her surname to Flint after her mother wed. more detective work for me to do

Any advice how to solve please?

John,

Slow down you are missing information.

Observation...... Re check the 1891 census for Graces age. Followed by a search for the year on FreeBMD and the GRO.

Do either of the mothers surname mean anything to you?
Where did the year 1874 come from?

Elaine.

Sorry miss read my own notes... It was the 1901 census. Grace Rotherham. FMP

Free BMD.
Births Sep 1874
FLINT Grace Ecclesall B. 9c 331

The Gro throws up.

FLINT, GRACE STANIFORTH
GRO Reference: 1874 S Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 331
FLINT, GRACE LINLEY
GRO Reference: 1875 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 433

Elaine.

Think I got 1874 from 1891 census can't remember. I she was with Charles and Esther on the census I found. It was only when I found she had married Arthur rotherham in 1894 because James Flint was with them as son. However I checked the original marriage cert yesterday and no name under father and also she was 23 when married and 49 in 1921 all leads back to 1871. Btw the Stainforth surname is indexed wrong by gro should be stanfield. I shall sit down with my notes and have a good study

Elaine or Denise, please delete this posting I have found some new information and I do not now think Grace is part of it Once its deleted I shall repost a new request. Sorry for all your hard woirk on this but its backto the drawing board.

My new starting point will be back to Kenneth Flint born 1927 with MMN Clews