Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Florence Shell(e)y

Florence Shelley married James Bottom in 1900 and it states her father was called David (I think).

It says she was 20 years old so born 1879ish but where I do not know.

I am trying to find her on a census return (the GRO website is down) with a father David but to no avail.

I have also not been able to find a marriage for a David Shelley so I am wondering if this name is ficticious or perhaps her grandfather's name.

Any help please on trying to find who her parents really are would be appreciated.

Regards

John

Re: Florence Shell(e)y

From FreeBMD. Marriage

Shelly Florence Sheffield 9c 596

What about this baptism.

SHELLEY, Florence (of 96 Woollen Lane, born 1879-09-08).
Baptised September 18, 1879, by Henry Anderton at St Jude, Moorfields.
Parents name(s) are Emily & ~ (Singlewoman).

Elaine.

Possible marriage for Emily.

GRIFFITHS David Sheffield 9c 401
SHELLEY Emily Sheffield 9c 401

Elaine, you are a diamond

John

Florence's date of birth was 8th September 1878 (from 1939 register) - James (brick burner was born 24th November 1869) - they were living at 16 court, 9 house, Attercliffe Road.

The baptism found by Elaine matches, as does Emily's marriage to David Griffiths. On her marriage record (26th February 1882, St Jude's) Emily states her father as John Shelley, filecutter and her step-father as Isaac Fletcher, roller. New husband David Griffith (no S) was a furnaceman, both residing at Shepherd street.

cheers Ted but Im sure James born in 1879.

Need to find David and Emily's burials now.

I wonder what made Emily name her stepfather on the MC and surely there should have been a note made when he crossed that name out or was the name John Shelley added at a later date.

Name Emily Shelley
Age 23
Residence Place Shepherd St
Birth Year (Estimated) 1859
Father's Name John Shelley
Father's Sex Male
Spouse's Name David Griffith
Spouse's Sex Female
Spouse's Age 23
Spouse's Residence Place Shepherd St
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated) 1859
Spouse's Father's Name John Griffith
Spouse's Father's Sex Male
Event Type Marriage
Event Date 26 Feb 1882
Event Place Moorfields, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Sheffield, St Jude, Moorfields, Yorkshire (West Riding), England

Hi John S.,
It looks as if DAVID GRIFFITH(S) died at 52 Creswick St. in May 1909 (burial on this website) buried at City Road Cem.,
and that EMILY GRIFFITHS (nee Shelley) possibly re-married at the age of 60 in 1918/31st March, at Christ Church, Wadsley Bridge. to DAVID THOMAS HUMPHREYS
EMILY HUMPHREYS died Sept.1923 age 65 at 1st court, 5 Parkview Rd, buried at City Road Cem. (also on this website)

DAVID THOMAS HUMPHREYS died Feb/1933 age 71 at
Fir Vale House, buried at Burngreave Cem. (also on this website).

To your other question: There is a marriage (again on this website) on 26th Feb/1882 at St. Jude's. Moorfields between EMILY SHELLEY and DAVID GRIFFITH,
Brides father John Shelley.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: