Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Winnell - Neepsend

I wonder if anyone can help with details of a son of Thomas Winnell (1) (1681?-1723) and Martha Kinsey (1689-1758) who married at Sheffield 1706. They had the following children:
Kinshey 1709-1709 Baptised Heckmondwicke
William 1710-1776 Baptised Hecknomdwicke
Esther 1713 Baptised Sheffield
Kinsey 1718-1718 Baptised Sheffield
Kinsey 1720-1794 Baptised Sheffield
Thomas (2) Details unknown
William, Kinsey, Thomas (2) and Robert Winnell appear on a 1794 map of Neepsend. Picture Sheffield Map arc03991
I have been able to trace Kinsey, William and Esther but have been unable to find a baptism or burial record for Thomas (2). I know he existed as he appears as a beneficiary of his grandmother’s will in 1719. The block of land he inherited was Hell Hole at Harvest Lane End. The block had originally been left to Martha by her father in 1702.

I recently obtained a 1831 deed relating to this block which is called Hen Hole, alias Hell Hole at Harvest Lane End which was then being transferred from Robert Winnell to Francis Hoole. It establishes Robert Winnell is the son of Thomas (2) and had a brother, also Thomas (3). Fortunately, Thomas (3) remained a bachelor.
Robert had one surviving child Hannah Winnell who married a Ralph Saunders/Sanders of Sheffield, all deceased by 1831.
In summary:
I’m looking for a baptism and burial for Thomas (2) and his sons Robert and Thomas (3). There is a 1754 burial for a Thomas Winnell which could be Thomas (2) or (3). While I have found two marriages for a Robert Winnell they are too late to be the mother of Hannah Winnell born 1766, Sheffield. I’ve searched Familysearch, FMP and Ancestry. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Bev Wilson

Re: Winnell - Neepsend

Hi Bev,
That far back is always hard work but just a suggestion......

Have you looked at the Apprentice & Freeman List over to the left.

Kinsey is mentioned. Maybe others that didn't jump out at me.

Elaine.