Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
Re: POTTER

Sent Dave

Hazel, I havenot received them

I have just received the will of Henry Coleman he left everything to his wife Mary and upon her death it was to be split between his children Edward,Ann and Lucy ( their husbands are named) it also states the it is for them hem not the husbands

Hazel, thanks for the copy of the will.
The date of the Will is 1st August 1866. So this tells us that on that date Lucy and Richard were still together. Unfortunately it tells us nothing about what happened after that date.
We do know that Henry's wife died in 1867 and Henry himself died in 1870. So in late 1870 Lucy received her inheritance of maybe up to £30, so around the time of the 1871 census she was relatively rich.
Dave

hi Dave there was another daughter to Henry &Mary a child called Mary in 1843 she went on to have the child (John who is on the census with Henry later named William

Hazel. Thanks. I know that Mary Jane Coleman was born 1843 Spilsby (mmn Whatton).She was with her parents and family in 1851 census. However I cannot trace her thereafter.
How do you know she was mother of John please?
Dave

I was curious and looked at births and found a cert with Mary named has his mother he had not been given a christian name when registered though also she is not named in the will either is she which I find strange

has a marriage been found yet between a coleman and a whatton

Hazel. That unmamed boy was birth registered in Q2 1861 which is AFTER the 1861 Census (which was end March 1861) . He may possibly have been the son of Mary Jane, Lucy's younger sister born 1843, but he cannot possibly be the John Coleman age 1 on the 1861 Census.
Dave

John S
has a marriage been found yet between a coleman and a whatton
No, but the name may have been Wattam based on her 2 older brothers' birth registrations.

The only marriage I found for a Henry Coleman and a Mary Whattam (various spellings was) -

Mary Watton
Gender Female
Record Type Marriage
Marriage Date 15 Apr 1824
Marriage Place Saint Leonard, Shoreditch: Shoreditch High Street, Hackney, England
Spouse Henry Coleman
Register Type Parish Register
I had done my research years ago before the advent of computers etc. I think I got it from the IGI - now it does show on ancestry.
Both Henry b c 1798 and Mary were born in Leicestershire as it states in the census.

Familysearch gives us Henry Coleman Coleman
Birth Date 25 Apr 1797
Religion Anglican
Father's Name Thos
Mother's Name Sarah
Event Type Baptism
Event Date 18 Jun 1797
Event Place Great Bowden, Leicestershire, England, United Kingdom
Event Place (Original) Leicestershire,England,Great Bowden

1 2