Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: John Whitham. Second opinion please

OK then have we got the correct john whitham. Ie the john whitham born in 1851 still had parents called Henry and Elizabeth.

If if we have got the correct john whitham born outibridge in 1848 did this one marry someone else and the john whitham that married Cecilia wrong one

Just a thought

John

john would not be the first bridegroom to knock a couple of years off his age when he was marrying a girl 7 years his junior.
He was birth registered early in July 1848 so when he died at the end of June 1893 he would be very close to his 45th birthday.
Dave

We already know that John whitham died 1901 I think like you now he just knocked a few years off his age to show her father there was not a big gap.

Still not found cecilias burial but she died in 1921 just before the census was taken

Hi Elaine

It seems Ancestry have both John & Cecelia on the 1871 as follows....

John Whitham, Gate Yorkshire England, Brother-in-law, but with birth year as 1845

Cecilia Newton, Gate Yorkshire England, Granddaughter, Birth 1856

It does not seem to be on Family Search and I don't have full access on Ancestry to check out. But seeing they are both in Gate it's possibly them.

Regards

You have the birth cert says born 1848. You are 100% sure that's your john if the census returns say born sheffield then I agree

Where were john and cecilia living in 1881? What info does it say...not got access to census at the moment

Morning Dave,

From FMP.

1871 Census Oughtibridge.(Gate) Yks
Francis Newton h.m. 61 Carter born Clowne Dbys.
Hannah wife aged 58 Walby Dbys.
Cecilia Newton granddaughter aged 15 born Sheffield.(1856).

Also in Gate were Thomas Makin aged 32 a file cutter with wife Elizabeth aged 42
Henry Whitham aged 18 son in law born Oughtibridge
Arnold aged 14 and Elizabeth aged 11.

Henry Whitham father of John died between 1861 & 1871.

Hope this helps.

Elaine.

Also in Gate in 1871 was this household:
Henry Whitham Head 35 File Cutter b Oughtibridge
Mary do Wife 35 b do
Sam do Son 9 b do
Clara do Dau 7 b do
Peter do Br in Law 29 File Cutter b do
John do do 26 do b do

Dave

Thanks then so the one born 1848 must be correct because the other john whithams around the 1850s were born in lancashire so he must have told porkies about age unless of course he did not know. We need now to find where cecilia was buried. I think we need to check church of ascension again for perhaps a name transcript error. Might be worth investing in her death cert to see who registered it. She could have died at the asylum in the area too

I think I'm happy with my John Whitham being born 1848 and there was some playing around with his age for whatever reason. I thank you all for your help, it greatly appreciated. Regards David

PS: Hi John. I will probably send for Cecilia's death cert, but it's not on digital copy option so will have to wait for it.

Take care. Stay safe I hear another storm coming.

Ps have you checked the gro website in case she left a will.

John. Need to inform you. Been updating my tree and just realised I do have details of Cecilia's burial location. She is in Birtin Cemetery Plot 296 along with her daughter Sarah (Whitham) Ellison & Sarah's husband Walter. Regards

Thanks for the update, yes delving through the old paperwork it's amazing what you find after x years. Wonder if there is a headstone and makes you wonder why not in church of ascension