Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
James Barratt Club Gardens 1851 census

I’m trying to find a James Barratt dob 1813 who was said to live at Club Gardens (Little Sheffield?). I believe his wife was Johanna Barratt, she died 1854, James remarried in 1855. He is mentioned in trade directories at this address either side of the 1851 census and in a newspaper report when he grew a fine crop of mushrooms (!) Can I find them in the census? Of course not. I started ploughing through all of the census but there is rather a lot of it! Does anyone have any idea of which enumeration district might cover Club Gardens?

Re: James Barratt Club Gardens 1851 census

Hello Gill

On FMP you can search by address.
I think he is there, with wife Ann, but he is unclear and has been transcribed as Thomas.

Enumeration District is 1B

Census Reference is

HO107
Piece 2337
Folio 539
Page 24
Schedule 89

I can send you an image of the page.

Anne

Thank you so much! I’m not familiar with FMP (well, rusty) and although I had been in the library for their free access it hadn’t occurred to me to search by address. Also explains why I couldn’t find the marriage as I had her down as Johanna. She is buried with his parents but all I could find was her burial, nothing else

In Ancestry's version it has been transcribed as, and looks like, Thomas Barrall & Ann Barrall. He is a file cutter. You could also read it as Bassall.

FamilySearch.org has the same name transcription (no image).

I figured it was mistranscribed. I’d been doing wildcard searches on the surname though, not the first names! Thanks again! I knew this site would come up trumps!

Hi Gill, There's a burial at the General Cemetery!

Grave:A3-137
James Barratt
File Cutter: Club Gardens

Johanna Barratt
BIRTH
DEATH
25 Mar 1854 (aged 43–44)
BURIAL
Sheffield General Cemetery
Sheffield, Metropolitan Borough of Sheffield, South Yorkshire, England
PLOT
G 90

Gravesite Details
Age: 44, Description: Wife of James Barratt, Residence: Club Gardens, Cause: Cancer from Find a Grave (someone must have purchased a death certificate?

Husband (My 4 x Great Uncle) James Barratt
BIRTH
DEATH
28 Oct 1859 (aged 82–83)
BURIAL
PLOT
G 90

Gravesite Details
Age: 83, Status: File smith, Last Residence: 38 Rockingham Street, 30 Oct 1859 is the interment date

Mary Barratt (nee Birds)
BIRTH
DEATH
16 Jan 1843 (aged 58–59)
BURIAL
PLOT
G 90

Gravesite Details
Age: 59, Description: Wife of James Barratt, filesmith, Residence: Garden Street, E.B., Cause: Asthma, 19 Jan 1843 is the interment date

Stephen Barratt
BIRTH
DEATH
4 Aug 1859 (aged 55–56)
BURIAL
PLOT
G 90

Gravesite Details
Age: 56, Status: File Smith, Last Residence: 182, Younge Street, 7 Aug 1859 is the interment date

Friday 05 August 1859
Newspaper: Sheffield Daily Telegraph from BNA

DIED On the 4th inst., much respected by a large circle friends, Mr. Stephen Barratt, filesmith, Young Street, aged 56.

Hi Angela, I’ve only just seen this!

James Barratt is also a gt uncle of mine, although I get confused by the numbers. His brother Stephen is my gt gt gt grandfather (I think that’s the right number of gts!). I have been to the General Cemetery and plot G90 is no longer identified. Stephens wife is buried in the same plot as her daughter and son in law, John Eaton. That grave is still there and I have photos if you are interested. You *should* be able to email me, if I’ve done this right…….

Anne
Hello Gill

On FMP you can search by address.
I think he is there, with wife Ann, but he is unclear and has been transcribed as Thomas.

Enumeration District is 1B

Census Reference is

HO107
Piece 2337
Folio 539
Page 24
Schedule 89

I can send you an image of the page.

Anne
Hi Anne

Could you email me directly please regarding this page.

Thanks
Denise

Hi Gill
Stephens brother was Joseph Barrat born 28th May 1816- Buried 16th August 1855 at St Johns Sheffield Park age 39 lived at Copper Street (My 3x Gt Grandfather)

Did you know Jon Eaton was born in Calais France the son of a Lace Manfacturer When he died he was a very rich and well respected man owning Pawn Brokers and Jewellers shops in Sheffield He was Alderman John Eaton JP (1832 - 1900), Lord Mayor of Sheffield, 1900' I have photos of him and know he was buried at General Cemetery Section AA Grave 97 but I have not seen a photo of his grave

I will look for your e mail address and contact you and we can exchange information

Angela

I can see your email address now Angela so I will drop you a line. I had discovered John Eaton Snr - but I was most impressed to learn that when his son, John Dickinson Eaton, passed away he left almost his entire estate to charity with substantial bequests to hospitals in Sheffield, Derby, Rotherham & Ilkeston. He also left a large amount to the National Pawnbrokers Association to provide for pawnbrokers who fell on hard times & generous gifts to each of his employees who had worked for him for more than 5 years. The remainder of his estate was left to the City of Sheffield to found the John Eaton almshouses which are still in place today near Graves Park 😊