Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sheffield Star 1961 Article - How do I find?

Julie, the on line newspaper archives only come up to 1959 for Sheffield. You should try contacting the newspaper.
Dave

I would also suggest contacting Sheffield Local Studies Library. They should have files of the original newspapers. They may well be in storage, and quite fragile to handle, but if they have never been microfilmed they should be willing to search for you but there will be a research fee. Alternatively, if they will produce them in the library then someone else may be willing to search for you.
Sally

Thank you Dave. I'll do that - Julie

Thank you Sally

I live in Barnsley so not too far away, but I never go into Sheffield Centre, but I'll contact Local Studies and make a list of other records I can browse at the same time if they say they have the newspaper. Problem is, I can imagine, it may be difficult to find. Julie

The Sheffield Star from 1961 should be viewable on microfiche at the central library. It can be quite laborious ploughing through them but if you have an idea of the date of publication it might not take *too* long to find

Gill
The Sheffield Star from 1961 should be viewable on microfiche at the central library. It can be quite laborious ploughing through them but if you have an idea of the date of publication it might not take *too* long to find
Thank you Gill. Yes, at least I have the month (December or January I would have thought).

UPDATE:

I was thrilled to find the photo article of mum holding my baby brother. It was on microfiche at Sheffield Local Studies. What a thrill. I met mum for lunch and surprised her. I found it in the Sheffield Daily Telegraph dated 12th December 1961. As it concerned 10th December I started from there. It didn't take long as I was looking for the photo, but imagine it would be more difficult if no photo.