Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Baptism and burial queries

Sally perhaps they are there but either the letters have eroded away or they might be elsewhere on the headstone that due to the undergrowth we cant see.

As I said it its very unsteady around that area and the headstone for James and Mary is actually on top of the plot 5 section so perhaps that is what is covering the information up.

Hi Sally, You will have to bear with me as "Host Papa" have decided to re vamp their access page and I can't get into it.

Mind you not the swiftest techi in the house. LOL.

First let me say St John's Park was not an easy church to transcribe. I no longer have the originals they were on fiche. Soooooooo unless someone else comes up with another transcription I can't help.

Ellen Woodcock born in 1872 MMN of Ward.
Ellen Woodcock born in 1862 MMN of Gillam.

Rose Ellen you would need to see the original to work it out.

Now to Eliza Hannah Woodcock burial 1895.

She is there in our database.....but unfortunately she was transcribed as Eliza H.
Woodcock.

Note the period which I will remove once I can get into the site and then all should be well.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine, sorry but forsome reason my system will not send emails to you.
The reason Eliza H Woodstock is not linking to her husband on Find Similar in Same grave is because she has a trailing space on the word Norton.
Dave

Hi Elaine,
Gillam is the correct mmn. They were married at Rotherham All Saints', 18 Jul 1845. I can see four possible local Woodcock/Ward marriages from 1866 back to 1851 so the other birth could be from any of those. As I said, the age at burial is consistent with Ann being too old. I presume the fiche are at Sheffield Archives so I will try to get to see those and report back in due course. (I usually only get to Sheffield on Fridays when they are closed but will try to organise another day.)

Well I seem to have winkled out a spurious period and a trailing space! So it was a worthwhile exercise. Many thanks.
Sally

Thank you Dave for spotting the problem, and thanks to Elaine who has presumably now been allowed in to do her job.

That may be the answer, we cannot see it all. John W cannot actually be there because the cemetery was not open and James' mother Mary W died 21 Apr 1873 at Trafalgar Street (James' house at his works), aged 77. That information is from Sheffield Independent 26 Apr, p12, but I have not found a burial. They did not move out to Norton until some time later, but before the 1881 census.
I will also mention that the name GE Woodcock in the records of the FHS was George Edmund, eldest child of William and Eliza.
Sally