Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Caroline Sharman on 1871 census

I've found a marriage on 26th Jan 1876 for an Elizabeth Sharman to William Montague Toplis at St Mary's Church Bramall Lane. Father Charles - Gentleman.

Could this be her???

Jenny

Just realised you said her father was Peter, so probably not the right person. Sorry

Hi John,
Caroline Sharman aged 65yrs of Heeley Green, buried 11 March 1885 at Norton Cemetery,
Derbyshire Lane.

Moira.

I cannot find this family in 1871, but I have some thoughts about Elizabeth.

The only Elizabeth SHARMAN in the GRO births for 1851 in Sheffield has the mmn PRYOR. She was the daughter of Charles SHARMAN and Elizabeth nee PRYOR and she is the one who Barry found in the 1871 census and the one Jenny found marrying William TOPLIS in 1876.

In the 1861 census Elizabeth daughter of Peter is 'Lisabeth E' and she is 11 years old. Of course a year or two out in a census age means little on its own, but it supports the following hypothesis.

In the GRO births there is an Emma SHARMAN mmn BOTTOM registered in JUN Qtr 1849 who is not in that 1861 household. But she was alive in 1861 as she later married James CLARK in 1873 Broomhall (her father listed as Peter SHARMAN, grinder, deceased).

So I think 'Lisabeth E' is the same person as Emma.

None of which helped find them in 1871.

Hugh

In 1881 Caroline is living with *three* of her sons, including Thomas.

Thomas married Eliza COOK in Gleadless in 1883 (his father listed as Peter SHARMAN, Blade Grinder).

Hugh

Thanks folks for your replies, Emily/Emma alive in 1851 aged 2 and yes I do have her marriage to James Clark, according to the 1891 census James was a widow then but I have found no trace of a death for Emma/Emily.

This family is getting more intriguing to solve and you lot have just added another spanner in the works.

How confident are you that I can remove Elizabeth from my family tree records.

John

I think Emma and James Clark are both alive and living in Heeley in 1891. They are in the burial records on this site, buried in Norton Cemetery.

Hugh

I should have added that they are called CLARKE in 1891, and Emma is Emily

Hugh

cheers Hugh

Presume the burial you refer to is under Emma Clark in Grave PA plot 30.

Never dawned on me to look under Clarke, but when I searched this years ago in 1891 I was not on the internet and had only those cds you could purchase.

I must try and find them in 1901 then what is the betting they are listed as another variant.

John

Hi John. Caroline was my 3rd great grandparent. Not had chance to look through all the replies so I might be repeating, but Caroline and family do appear in a 1871 census, but Caroline and all the children have the surname Bottom, which is very odd! I do have a family tree on Ancestry with everything I found on the Sharman's so far, let me know if interested.

When Peter Sharman died in 1870 he was living at Bernard Street, Park. When the census was taken in April 1871 his widow and family (Caroline widow 50, Eliza 24, Emily 22, Edward pen blade grinder 22, Thomas 13, Henry 9) were living at Staniforth Lane, using the surname Bottom. For its whole length, Staniforth Lane was parallel to Bernard street, 10 yards distant. Possibly the family were incognito trying to avoid some debts?
(RG10 piece 4687 folio 137 page 14 schedule 82 )

Hi Ted. That may explain the use of Caroline's maiden name.

Thank you