Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: P.F. Towns, Jewellery, Fancy Goods & Leather shop, 68-70 The Moor, Sheffield

Percy only figures in the Quarter Sessions records because he was often the victim of theft (being a jeweller). His shop was at 4 London Road in 1909. In 1911 he formed Towns and Company with A.H.Denton as a business in warehousing, factoring, manufacture and dealing in hardware, watches, clocks, jewellery etc. This company was wound up in September 1913.

Re: P.F. Towns, Jewellery, Fancy Goods & Leather shop, 68-70 The Moor, Sheffield

There are a couple of articles under newspapers on FMP. Unfortunately I don’t have the grade of subscription to allow me to read them but someone else on here might be able to help you with more detail.

Elaine in Ottawa
Hi Janice,

Just adding my two cents worth.

I could not find a "Towns" listed under the directories that we have in our database but other folks might be able to help.

What I did spot was a Marriages in Sep qtr 1914.

Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175.

The marriage isn't showing up in our database.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Thank you Elaine!

Claire
There are a couple of articles under newspapers on FMP. Unfortunately I don’t have the grade of subscription to allow me to read them but someone else on here might be able to help you with more detail.
Thank you Claire! I have a subscription to FMP but hadn’t thought to look through newspapers, so I’ll definitely do that!

Ted
Percy only figures in the Quarter Sessions records because he was often the victim of theft (being a jeweller). His shop was at 4 London Road in 1909. In 1911 he formed Towns and Company with A.H.Denton as a business in warehousing, factoring, manufacture and dealing in hardware, watches, clocks, jewellery etc.
That's great info, Ted, thank you!

"Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175"

Laura's surname at BMD.org.uk is Leverton

Terry Stock
\"Percy F Towns married Laura Leverson EB 9c 1175\"

Laura\'s surname at BMD.org.uk is Leverton
Thank you 😊