Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Walkley Cemetery Info please

"following on from this who did Harold marry?"

There is a British Army World War 1 Service Record (via Ancestry) for a "Harold Bullen" M1/09087.

The record says this Harold Bullen married Sarah Ann Fletcher, spinster (year not given), next of kin Sarah Ann Bullen, wife, 14 Dover Street, Sheffield.

Children George William born 15-1-07, Harold 1 June 10, Sydney 17-6-18.

Harold Bullen is 30 years 218 days at enlistment 2 Nov 1914 and he was a chauffeur. Based on that detail he was born 29 March 1884. Consider whether this is a match for your target Harold Southcott Bullen, or a different person.

There are family trees at Ancestry for Harold Southcott Bullen. Some have the wife Sarah Ann Fletcher, others Mary Alice Fish, some both.

The 1927 probate was to Mary Alice Goodwin, wife of Walter Goodwin.

Hi John,

To give you a nudge in the right direction.

Look under our MI's section for the person to contact re St Mary's Walkley Cemetery.It's on Waller Rd. A 1927 burial might be in the newer section but I am sure Hugh will steer you in the right direction.

Have you checked out our database for BMD information.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Forgot to add there is a map of Walkley Cemetery under our Burial Records.

Elaine.

Hi John,

FYI - a distant cousin of mine visited Walkley cemetery last week. She said it was “neck high in brambles and impossible to see most of the headstones.” She made a phone call and tells me that a very helpful guy in Walkley kindly cut back the jungle covering our relatives grave. So if you visit be prepared for this.

Heths.

Thank you all for replies

If you look on FMP type in Bullen, list year of marriage as 1903 and put Yorkshire as place you will find Harold Sydney, click on him and look at the name options, thats where I am confused as no Sarah listed.

Hi

If you go to FreeBMd and search using Sarah Ann Fletcher in Dec 1903 you get

Harold Sydney Bullen
Benjamin Cartwright
Sarah Ann Fletcher
Gertrude King

all Sheffield 9c 1064

Denise

Heather in Holland
Hi John,

FYI - a distant cousin of mine visited Walkley cemetery last week. She said it was “neck high in brambles and impossible to see most of the headstones.” She made a phone call and tells me that a very helpful guy in Walkley kindly cut back the jungle covering our relatives grave. So if you visit be prepared for this.

Heths.
The late growth of the vegetation after our long cold spring meant it all came at once and is probably the thickest I have seen since the Friends were formed (almost 20 years ago).

Still, the ground cover varies across the site. C614 probably is 'neck high' in willowherb, brambles etc. J179 will have less cover as it is under trees and next to a path. M81 will be more or less clear as it is near some war graves.

I can supply plot plans for these graves by email if required.

Hugh

Hugh, thank you very much for the info really appreciated. I shall have a study and add it to my notes.

John