Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Baptism corrections please

May I suggest corrections please, to two baptisms 14 Nov 1880, Wincobank St. Thomas. There is a connection between them which is not obvious - their mothers were sisters. I first looked at these on microfiche and arrived at slightly different results.

The parents of Maud Augusta Garnett were the first couple to be married at St. Thomas when it opened in 1877. The groom’s occupation was given as Book-Keeper, also in the 1881 census, so I think the word here is not Waiter but Writer, used by the vicar in the old-fashioned sense of someone who writes in an office. The address is 450 Shoreham Street.

The vicar made an error naming Alice Mable Stringer, which must remain thus. Her birth was registered correctly; she was known as Mabel, and from 1891 her forenames were reversed. The correction here is her mother’s name which was Emma, not Eunice. You can read about the Stringers at: http://wincocars.co.uk/Stringer%20&%20Co.htm

Thank you, Sally

Re: Baptism corrections please

Hi Sally,

We can not change anything that was entered into the original records. The rule when transcribing is you transcribe what is there even if you know it to be incorrect.

However I have not checked your information against the originals which I will do
later today.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I think these are transcription errors. The vicar's handwriting is not easy. (I now have an image of this from findmypast). Obviously Mable must stay as it was written. Emma is spread out but has a definate a at the end. Sally

Hi Sally,
A note on William Thomas Garnett and his occupations
In 1877 he was a book keeper in the wine trade
In 1901 he was a wine and spirit merchant
In 1921 (his death over to your left) he is recorded as a wine and spirit merchant.
Augusta Sarah Cole's father Wadham Cole was also a book keeper.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Sally,

Having looked at the original copy that we used I think we can safely accept your
account of the name & occupation.

I have changed it already in our database.

Thanks for letting us know.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,

Thank you for that. I also mentioned the address which I did not make clear is given as 450 Shoreham Street in the original, but 45 in the transcript. Would you check that as well please?

Thank you,

Sally

Hi Wendy,

Thank you for those entries. What I know is that he worked for Hay and Son of Norfolk Street, who built what is now named the Ruskin Building, although the Ruskin collection only occupied it for relativly few years between Hay's Gallery and the Millennium Galleries. WT Garnett set up business with his brother in Rotherham in 1896, Garnett Brothers, but appeared to continue working for Hays until about 1901. Garnett Brothers had a number of off-licences in Sheffield until about 1970. (Which is why "waiter" did not fit the circumstances.)

Wadham Cole was a suspicious character who gave his name as William in 1881, hiding his identity? I have had some correspondence with a lady whose husband is descended from his brother. The family arrived in Sheffield between 1871-77 from Wolverhampton.

Thank you for your interest,

Sally

Hi Elaine,

Now Wendy has opened up some trouble by looking at the Garnett burials at City Road. I had previously failed to find Augusta because she is entered as Garrett. I did not pursue it because I knew they were there - I have funeral cards for her and her two children - all three died from “consumption”.

There are a number of details which may or may not be errors in the register or in the transcriptions, which I will be glad if you would check please, all the entries for grave number 11637.

Edith alice: capital A?

Lionel Seymore: His birth and death were registered as Lionel SEYMOUR.
Card gives burial 12 Dec, but the date may have changed after it was printed.

William Thomas: Address was “Redcot, Brampton en le Morthen” (but Morthern is a very frequent error generally).

Augusta: GARNETT, not Garrett; Sarah omitted?

Needham, Clara: I have no idea who this is, so please will you check the Grave Number in case she has been misplaced. Otherwise I shall have to research her from scratch!

Sorry to add all this work for you Elaine! I will be happy to be told whatever is actually in the registers.

Best wishes, Sally

Thanks for bringing this transcription to my attention.
Not always easy to read unless you know the background.

I have capitalized the A in Alice.
Lionel Seymore as entered in the register
I have altered Brampton to Brampton en le Morthen
Clara Needham is Grave number 11627 AA so no longer part of the family.
Augusta is now Garnett rather than Garrett. No Sarah.

All in grave # 11637 AA.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Missed adding have changed 45 Shoreham St to 450 Shoreham St.

I think that's it.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine,

Thank you so much for sorting all that out. I'm glad I don't have to embark on Clara Needham. Thanks also to Wendy for highlighting it in the first place. I will now sign off and keep quiet for a while.

All the best,

Sally

Re: Baptism corrections please and Garnett burials

Postscript

A distant relative has now added these burials to Findagrave here:

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/261765429/william-thomas-garnett

so you can view the memorial inscription and a photo of William Thomas which is clipped from a larger picture I sent him some time ago. It was taken a year before he died, 19 August 1920, standing on the quayside at Southampton. The background is the side of the ship RMS Corinthic. Way above him leaning on the rail is his son from a 2nd marriage, Bernard setting off for New Zealand.

Sally