Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cyril Stagg

Hi I’m looking for any information on Cyril Stagg D.O.B 25/07/21 I believe he was in there from the age of 2 years old with 5or 6 of his siblings, I’m trying to trace my grandparents any information would be grateful
Many thanks Elaine

Instant Messenger: Hi I’m looking for information on why my Dad Cyril Stagg d.o.b 25/07/21 was in Fullwood cottage homes

Re: Cyril Stagg

There are 11 family trees at Ancestry.co.uk for Cyril Hutchison born 25 July 1921. Those with a death date claim he died in 2000. They claim his parents were Harry Charles Stuart Stagg (died 1933) & Annie Hutchinson (died 1938) and they married in 1907. I can't vouch for their accuracy.

At freebmd.org.uk you can see there are 7 births registered Ecclesall Bierlow 1914 to 1927. The family trees also indicate three more children that predate FreeBMD's inclusion of mother's maiden name. You can do more research if you want at www.gro.gov.uk which includes mother's maiden names.

FreeBMD has a record of a matching 1907 marriage.

Your local library may have Ancestry to view for free so you can look at the trees or other records they have for the family.

The family is on the 1921 census. Father is Harry Charles Stuart Stagg born Croydon about 1886 and mother Annie b about 1887.
In our parish records over to the left you will find a baptism for Elsie Stagg b 1914.
All the earlier children are on GRO Inex, mmn Hutchinson.
The burial of Annie Stagg is in our urinals over to the left. She died a widow in 1938 and buried in the same grave in 1942 is her 1 month old grandson, (son of her son Stuart
B 1919.
There are newspaper reports between 1925 and 1927 that Harry Stagg was in police custody several times for various crimes and he was committed for trial.
This would place his wife in a very difficult financial situation and put her and her younger children into the Workhouse, and the school age children would then go to the cottage homes.
Dave

Oh dear, my apologies for the predictive text error. Of course the details are in our BURIALS over to the left.
Dave

Elaine
It seems I was mistaken about your grandfather being in police custody in 1927. That person was definitely a different Harry Stagg who was 10 years older than your grandfather and was also living in Ecclesall Bierlow in 1921 census (Lime Street).
There is no doubt about your grandmother Annie Stagg. From our burials records:

Stagg, Annie (Widow, age 53).
Died at Winter St Hospital; Buried on November 22, 1938 in General Portion ground;
Grave Number 15465, Section OO of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

STAGG, Malcolm Stuart (Son of , age 1 mth).
Died at City General Hospital; Buried on July 21, 1942 in General Portion ground;
Grave Number 15465, Section OO of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.

The child in the same grave is her grandson, son of Stuart born 1919

Here are 4 of Cyril's siblings from our Baptism records:

STAGG, Margaret (of 72 Harold St, born 1907-04-08).
Baptised April 24, 1907, by C C Ellis at St Bartholomew, Langsett Rd.
Parents name(s) are Annie & Harry Charles Stewart (Bootmaker).

STAGG, Edward Johnson (of 29 Tennyson Rd, born 1909-01-01).
Baptised January 20, 1909, by ~ at St Mary, Walkley.
Parents name(s) are Annie & Harry Charles Stewart (Shoemaker).

STAGG, Arthur (of 1ct 9h St Stephens Rd, born 1910-12-23).
Baptised January 11, 1911, by George Dart at St Stephen, Netherthorpe.
Parents name(s) are Annie & Harry Charles Stuart (Boot Repairer).

STAGG, Elsie (of 12ct 1h Young St, born 1913-12-22).
Baptised January 7, 1914, by A G Jones Curate at St Silas, Gilcar.
Parents name(s) are Annie & Harry Charles Stuart (Labourer).

I cannot find a death for Your grandfather Harry Charles Stuart Stagg b 1885.

Sorry for misleading you
Dave

"Harry Charles Stuart Stagg (died 1933)". I can't find a record in the deaths indexes either. A quick sampling of the family trees provides no supporting source of their information.

Elaine,
See Sheffield Daily Telegraph Saturday March 3 1928

Annie Stagg of 9 Cundy St. was bound over for 12 months for wilfully abandoning her 6 children. Her husband had abandoned her 3 years before and all efforts to trace him had failed.
She and her children had from time to time been under the care of the Guardians, who were reluctant to relieve the children unless the mother also went into the workhouse.
There are many more details.

See also Sheffield Evening Telegraph 5th March 1920,
Annie Stagg of 12ct 1 H Young St was fined 5s for not sending her children to school.

Dave