Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Marriage of Sarah Shortridge, unclear witness name, suggestion

Hi

Looking at the original image the witness name definitely isn't Mary, Mary Ann or Martin (though I can see why someone might possibly imagine Martin).

It looks like it could possibly be Marian or Mariann (so could be the Mary A on the 1851 census).

But hard to be sure, hence our transcriber marking the name as query/unreadable.

Denise

Thank you both for your opinions. Obviously not easily resolved. Mary Ann seems possible, I think it was more usual then for the younger generation to be witnesses. Sarah Martha Shortridge was Sarah's sister in law; but they are not my family, I had been looking at the businesses.

George William King was a civil engineer who took his wife to Canada, where he died. At the 1861 census Sarah was a widow living in Albert Road, Heeley with two children born in "America New Brunswick".

Sally

Mary Ann married John Finch MACHEN in 1852 at St Philip's. Her signature is in a back-sloping handwriting very different from the earlier one.

Hugh

After a bit of a search I found the marriage of Mary Ann's brother Henry in Huddersfield in 1867 - no MILLER witnesses.

Hugh