Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
section T city road

hi i found the following burial record
Burnand, Wm Robert (child, age 1y 9mo).
Died at 4 Cross Smithfields; Buried on May 19, 1888 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 4468, Section T of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 390
upon reviewing section T ( in person the graves are numbered in the 8000s and 9000s? i wonder if anyone is able to help on where this ypung man is buried? as it is clear from the cemetery that grave no. 4468 does not exist in section T
any assistance would be most appreciated
thanks
laura

Re: section T city road

Hi Laura.

I have just checked the original copy of the burial book and our transcription reads as per the register.

What might be of help is in the remarks (I will send you a copy).

Entry 9727 2nd row Cons? Side..... 18th from far side.

Hard to read but if that doesn't help I would get back to City Road for their interpretation.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Laura,

I tried to pull up if anyone else was buried in Grave 4468 Section T with no luck at all. I had wondered if the child had been buried with another person if the child's parents couldn't afford the burial. That tuned up three others but non in section T. Two were in section F and one in Y all grave # 4468.BUT all in the 1930-40's

I suppose a Y could look like at T

Thats the best I can offer.

Elaine.

Looking at the plot maps for City Road section Y numbers are in the 13000s .

Plot 4468 is in section F.

Therefore if Elaine has suggested that the people in section F are buried in the 1930s and 1940s could it be the number that has been mis transcribed or mis indexed and hence could the person be actually buried in section T and is in say plot 8468?

Just a thought thats all

John

Hi John,

There is a Grave # 4468 in (sections F.(2)T.& Y) as per our records.

If there is an error its in the actual grave books that I really feel City Road should be the ones to sort it out. Check what is said in the notes column I quoted in my earlier message.

We can only transcribe what is there in front of us.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Elaine, would you be willing to email a copy of the entry please

TIA

John

Elaine, thank you for the email and it does look what is written is what is transcribed.

I am now beginning to think it an massive error on the person who performed the ceremony or in deed filled in the book

In the plot section it says 4468 but look at the left hand side and look at the number in the second column yep 4468. I reckon that the person is buried in section T but where we might never know.

John

Hi John,

I would follow thru with a visit to City Road and follow the instructions that are in the notes column.....then.... let them know in the office that there is a problem and let them sort it out.

Elaine in Ottawa,

Hi John,

If you look at the page I sent you I can see where the error is but it doesn't help find the burial spot.

The number in the order book is 4468 and then look across at Number of Grave it also reads 4468. It shouldn't be.

I would suggest that they (City Rd) look in the T section for another burial taking place on the 19th May 1888. I would say its the Registrar that made the error as its all in his writing.

Elaine in Ottawa.

There is no other burial on 19 May 1888 in Section T at City Road
Dave

This seems to have some coincidences

Burkinshaw, May (child, age 12d).
Died at 21 Warburton Square; Buried on May 19, 1888 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 13446, Section Y of City Road Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: Fredk Burkinshaw. Remarks: .
Plot Owner: ~ ~ of ~. Page No 390

Dave