Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sheffield street names

Hi

Are there any good websites for looking up old road names in Sheffield when transcribing? I'm on some baptism records for 1925 and I'm struggling with some of the street names!

Many thanks
Julia

Re: Sheffield street names

Just to add - Google maps has been quite helpful in identifying some streets that are still there!

Hi Julia,

You could try using the parish records on this website. In the address field put in the letters which you can make out, and put asterisks for the ones you aren’t sure about. See what pops up.

Heths

Thanks Heather, that is a really good idea! I've just tried it and it's come up with 2 street names that this particular one that I am stuck with could be. I think I have identified it now it has been narrowed down.

Hi Julia

Regarding Sheffield, go to the special collections on the University of Leicester site:

https://specialcollections.le.ac.uk/digital/collection/p16445coll4/id/83924/rec/6

White's Directory of Sheffield & Rotherham 1911 is free to download (the download symbol is on the right hand side of the page. This will be a large pdf file, and is the latest directory to the era you are transcribing which is free of charge.

In the Directory, just before the street listing section there will be a list of 'Smaller Streets and Lanes' which will not appear in the main street listing section but importantly, the small street's/lane's location can be determined as a connecting road is named.

Heather's idea is a good one, and a result can be confirmed by searching the Directory's street listing section where all the streets/roads are in alphabetical order.

Kind regards

Leipzig

I've downloaded it, looks really helpful thanks!

Hi Julia,

Which page # is it? And Entry #

You can always contact me or DeniseH between us we can sort you out if the Directory doesn't help you.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Heather in Holland
Hi Julia,

You could try using the parish records on this website. In the address field put in the letters which you can make out, and put asterisks for the ones you aren’t sure about. See what pops up.

Heths
You could also use this technique for the 1925 Kelly's Directory on this site

Hugh

Thanks Hugh!

Elaine - thanks, I know you and Denise are always on hand, I just wondered if there was anything that I could use myself. I go on FreeBMD sometimes if I get stuck with names but I'm not too bad at those as I work in a dental practice so I'm familiar with a lot of local names! It was book 7 page 204, first and last entries.

Thanks everyone!

Hi Julia

I'm also a transcriber and have a copy of Street names that I was sent when I first started. If you don't have it let me know and I'll send it to you.

Jenny

Hi Jenny

That would be really helpful if you wouldn't mind sending it to me please.

Thank you!
Julia

Just going out,will send later.

After the laptop problem my a-z was lost, i'd like a copy too Jenny.

Terry

Hi Julia,

The only list of Street name changes I have are for the year 1871 which doesn't help with
your 1925 query.

We do have people that hold different Directories over to the left in our index.

I have an old 1968/9 Street Guide/an Allan Godfrey Map (1903) and a current paper map of Sheffield.

What you need is a map of Netherthorpe.(St Stephens Parish)

Now to your query re Book 7 Pages 204.

Entry 1625 26ct 7h Wentworth St.
Entry 1632 5ct 1 Watery Lane.

Entry 1632 is hard to read I had to crank up the magnification.
The family name is Havenhand/Haverhand? have you looked to see if they have any other children baptised in our database.

Hope these suggestions help with future transcriptions.
Lots more to do.

Take care Elaine.

Just came across this thread.
I have found the OS maps extremely useful
Os Maps Of Sheffield And District (1950's)

https://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/maps

This link may help with the query

Link to Map (http://www.sheffieldhistory.co.uk/forums/index.php?s=&showtopic=4008&view=findpost&p=22605)

I have just discovered an addition last month to the National Library of Scotland mapping website. They have created a seamless layer from the sheets of the OS first edition 6 inch to 1 mile, which is c1850 in Yorkshire. You can also now display this side by side with a c1901 revision. This example shows the Park area where we were trying to identify High Street, Park, which the maps show was renamed Bard Street. You can drag it to another position.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=17.0&lat=53.38230&lon=-1.45627&layers=257&right=6

You can also view all the separate sheets of the larger scales on there.

Sally