Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Cathedral baptisms

Hi Folks,

Another SENIOR moment. LOL. The 1800-1816 Baptisms are to be completed. The marriages we completed last year covered 1800 to 1808. (We cover 1800-1908)

The Biggins Wendy are indeed there as FMP show. Just waiting for us to transcribe them.

Elaine.

I've only just noticed this discussion, and followed it with interest. My Biggin ancestors came from Norton, and I'd assumed all the local Biggins were related. My ancestor George Curr and his brother John also came to Sheffield in the 1770s, and they were probably born in Stella, also a township of Ryton, and many of my wife's family came from the same area. It's surprising how many people made such long journeys, for what they hoped would be a better future, and Durham to Sheffield is nothing compared with the Atlantic crossing.

I have now traced a lot of my Biggins ancestors back to Winlaton and Gateshead. However the Norton Biggin families are on the whole a different bunch but their paths do cross mainly due to birth and marriage registrations where quite often the s was added and sometimes missed off. A lot of the Norton Biggin were scythe makers, the Sheffield Biggins started off as nailors but ended up in the cutlery trade