Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Harold Jeffcock

Hi there
Under School Records there is a Harold Jeffcock listed.
Could someone confirm the entry please especially his date of birth and when he was discharged to Leeds.
I also wondered if there was any other relevant information not listed on here please in the original records?
I believe he could be one of my relatives who had an aunt Mary Elizabeth Gleadall as he was born illegitimately to Mary's sister Ada. Harold also had a sister Sarah Rebecca but she appears on the 1901 census with Mary. I am trying to work out why one child stayed with family and the other didn't

Many thanks
Karen

Re: Harold Jeffcock

ABG means adopted by Board of Guardians,could have had a surname change.

Regards

Terry

Thanks for that Terry. I did wonder what it meant.
As Harold Jeffcock was born illegitimately in 1891 in Macclesfield to Ada Jeffcock the dates look about right too. Its just the 00 that I don't understand? His mother's family also had a connection with Leeds, maybe why he was moved there.
Harold definitely entered the system as he was later to go on a training ship for 'naughty boys'
Any help unravelling this one would be great so thank you.

Karen
As Harold Jeffcock was born illegitimately in 1891 in Macclesfield to Ada Jeffcock the dates look about right too. Its just the 00 that I don't understand? His mother's family also had a connection with Leeds, maybe why he was moved there.
Harold definitely entered the system as he was later to go on a training ship for 'naughty boys'
Being from Leeds he may have been on the 'Southampton' moored at Hull.

Terry

Just looking at ww1 records on FMP, it looks like he was formerley on the TS Indefatigable prior to army enlistment to the Kings Rifle Regt.Macclesfield born and next of kin is Sarah Jeffcock her address given as Worksop Rd Attercliffe and his address was 7 Newark St Attercliffe.

Must be your man

Terry

Thanks Terry, exactly right. I didn't name the ship as I couldn't remember how to spell it lol ...
As you can see he names his sister Sarah as his next of kin. My mother who is Harold and Sarah's relative lived on Worksop Road as a baby.
So next I need to find any entries in Sheffield Homes and in Leeds Training School.
If anyone can help with any Sheffield entries that would be great!

Karen
Hi Karen

When we're transcribing records we will use 00 where either that part of a date is illegible or not provided on the original record.

Denise

Thank you Denise.
It's got to be him I am sure. Although the info is a little askew I know that he was born 22 December 1892. He had an aunt called Mary Elizabeth Gleadall and had connections with Leeds. I also know by 1901 he was on the census as being at the Moral and Training School in Leeds and he left Sheffield 1 July 1900.

Hi everyone
I am delighted!
For some reason I decided to look on FMP for Harold.
He's there and I was correct in that for some reason he stayed in the system and not with his family like his sister.
It appears he went to the Leeds Union as previously said and was there for a 3 year term from which he was then transferred to HMS Indefatigable in 1904 and then to HMS Champlain on 9 October 1906 as a deck boy.
Again the same aunt is mentioned under her new married name of Webster and living on Shirland Lane in Attercliffe.
Both parents names are not listed but in the space is written the word dead against both. I know that his mother was alive in 1899 as she married a John William Davies in Leeds so I now need to look for the death of an Ada Davies between 1899 and 1901/1904.
Any help would be appreciated
Karen

Karen
The illegitimate birth in Macclesfield of Harold Jeffcock was registered at GRO in Q1 1892. Therefore he was born on 22 December 1891.
Note that he was said to be an orphan on the school record, and he was adopted by the guardians on 6th March 1901, so the Sheffield Union were under the impression that he was already an orphan in March 1901. Also, based on the 1901 census, they wrongly believed he was born in Leeds.
Dave

Hi Karen,
There are possible death records on BMD, GRO and UKBMD for ADA DAVIS (no E).
BMD & GRO: ADA DAVIS, March qtr, 1900 LEEDS District, age 30

UKBD: ADA DAVIS 1900, KIRKSTALL, LEEDS.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you Wendy, definitely worth looking into. She married John William Davies in 1899 in Leeds. Now to find his death!

Hi Karen,
You may want to check out the burials over to your left on this website.
There is a possible death for:
JOHN WILLIAM DAVIES (with E) Sheffield Indexers record: Buried Jan.9th/1917 at Abbey Lane Cemetery Sheffield. He died at 30 Springfield Rd at age 86 (Retired).
GRO Death registry: March qtr. 1917 Ecclesall Bierlow.

In 1901 John William Davies was living in Barker's Pool, Sheffield, a shopkeeper/draper age 70.

Hi Wendy
Thanks again for taking a look for me. Sadly I don't think this is the correct gentleman. On the records mentioned both parents are listed as dead by 1901.
However thank you for the information on the Ada you found as this is without doubt the correct lady.
This afternoon I found her info on Ancestry. She is buried in Beckett Street Cemetary. The records also gave her address at time of death. A strange address - 36 Cardigan Mount.
I tried to trace the records further for John William but had to give up as the pages stopped short. I need to find out how to search for those records on Ancestry to see if he is also in Beckett Street.
Thank you so much Wendy and others for your help x

Hi Karen,
Just to clarify (and add the info I left out) the 1901 census I mentioned for John William Davies(with an E) living in Barker's Pool Sheffield, was recorded as a widow, who was born at Millington, Cheshire (Millington is situated within the market town of Macclesfield. (Millington ref: Wikipedia). Maybe this info will help eliminate or embrace the above gentleman.
Good Luck

Karen, John William Davies was not a parent of Harold Jeffcock. Therefore you have no reason to expect him to be dead when Harold was in the Sheffield Workhouse.
Dave

Hi Wendy and Dave
Thank you for your info.
It definitely has given me food for thought.
Wendy, I'll take a look at this gentleman for sure.
Dave, I'd not thought of it that way.

It just goes to show that it's good to have extra pairs of eyes looking at something with you. Shows that I definitely need to look outside the box more!

Thank you both again

Wendy in Guelph
Hi Karen,
Just to clarify (and add the info I left out) the 1901 census I mentioned for John William Davies(with an E) living in Barker\'s Pool Sheffield, was recorded as a widow, who was born at Millington, Cheshire (Millington is situated within the market town of Macclesfield. (Millington ref: Wikipedia). Maybe this info will help eliminate or embrace the above gentleman.
Good Luck
Hi Wendy
I cannot find the 1901 census entry you mention
Am I missing something?

Hi Karen,
I think you will find it on the Family Search, Mormon website.

Got him,
Thanks Wendy!

Karen