Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Christiana Fox (nee Hinchcliffe)and George Fox, Fulwood, Sheffield

I am a descendant of Christiana and George Fox and already have some information about Christiana but would like to know more about the family. I have recently looked for their grave in Christ Church Fulwood but without more information I am unable to find where it is. Does anyone have any information please?

Re: Christiana Fox (nee Hinchcliffe)and George Fox, Fulwood, Sheffield

Hi Sue,

Christina & George Fox are the parents of Samuel Fox who married into my Woodhouse line.

I believe you would probably have to contact the Church for a Grave Plan.

Elaine in Ottawa.

A question: Years ago my dad mentioned to me that the council once took part of that churchyard in order to widen Brookhouse Hill. Did they move any of the graves or gravestones when they were doing that?

Heths

Hi Elaine
Exciting to get such a prompt reply, thank you! You and I must be distantly related as I have the original marriage certificate of Samuel Fox and Mary Woodhouse who were the parents of my Great grandmother Mary Fox.
We have now found a photo of Christiana's grave on Ancestry but it's not really helpful as it doesn't say where it is. The information we have from somewhere is that it is in Fulwood, which we assumed to mean Christchurch Fulwood, although there are other churches. We are currently staying for a few days in Sheffield so may try again tomorrow.

Hello Heather

I have no knowledge of this I'm afraid. I lived in Fulwood from 1954 to 1966 and attended Fulwood Church School which was next to the church, but I doubt I would have noticed any road widening. I am intending to contact the church at some stage to see whether they have a grave plan. We have now found a photo of the grave but still no indication of where it is.

They are definitely buried at Christ Church Fulwood.
Dave

Many thanks, we will look again tomorrow. Since our trip today we have found a photo on Ancestry which shows a flat stone, so at least we know what we are looking for now, although having a photo of the stone is the next best thing to finding it ourselves.

Hi Sue,
If you look to your left and click on Burial Records, then go to maps/photos, then photos of cemeteries and scroll down and click on Fulwood, you may find the article on The Old Chapel at Fulwood interesting.
The article also mentions road widening in 1929 and that some of the Chapel burial ground was taken with it. Also Wikipedia mentions a John Fox worshiping there.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Many thanks Wendy, I'll try that. Still trying to negotiate my way around this site.

Hi Sue,

Mary Fox is a half 3rd cousin three times removed. She was born in 1867.

If I can help or give a friendly nudge with your research you know where I am.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Your Christiana Fox?
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:6615-F43R
Name Christiana Fox
Age 79
Death or Burial Date 6 Feb 1861
Death or Burial Place Fulwood, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom
Death or Burial Place (Original) Sheffield, Christ Church, Fulwood, Yorkshire (West Riding), England
Death Date 1861
Birth Year (Estimated) 1782
Event Type Burial
Document Type Burials
Page 59
You need to go to a LDS Family Search Centre or affiliate to view the record.

Hi Sue

Christiana was also a descendant of mine ,if I can help in any way let me know and I will try and help with the info I have

Chris

Thank you, I would be I interested in any information you have.