Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A Death at Sheffield Union Hospital

HEWITT, Walter (~, age 47).
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on September 17, 1898 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 85, Section E1 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 7269 Attending Minister: T Couch.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

I have found that one of my ancestors died at the above location. Would this have been in the workhouse or the hospital? I have applied for Walters death certificate so I hope that I may glean more information from that. Please pardon my lack of knowledge in these matters as I'm new to the subject. Many thanks, I'm much obliged.

Re: A Death at Sheffield Union Hospital

Richard
Go back to the record and click on the link "find similar in same grave". That gives you a list of all the other 11 people buried in the same grave.
That shows it is a mass grave apparently owned by the Union.
Dave

Correction: 15 others in same grave.
Note that one was buried in the same grave by the same vicar on the same day
KILBORN, Mary (~, age 34).
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 7269 Attending Minister: T Couch.
Dave

Richard, no need to apologise about the lack of knowledge, we all have to start somewhere and I hope you will get the bug.

This is what this forum is for to assist people and even us that have been doing this for ages still need to get assistance from the people of this wonderful site.

Do not be afraid to ask questions if you don't know something as asking is the only way of learning.

John

Hi Richard

Sheffield Union was a Workhouse covering the areas of:
Comprised Attercliffe *** Darnall, Brightside Bierlow, Bradfield Urban, Ecclesall, Ecclesfield Urban, Handsworth and Sheffield. The workhouse was built in 1881 at Fir Vale, and it later became the site of the Northern General Hospital.

Denise

Dave T
Correction: 15 others in same grave.
Note that one was buried in the same grave by the same vicar on the same day
KILBORN, Mary (~, age 34).
Dave
It's quite shocking in our modern day lives that mass graves were considered normal practice. Thank you for that piece of information, I'm most grateful. I suppose death rates were very high as was abject poverty. I wonder what took poor Walter to the workhouse, we will never know. Did certain people not make a habit, but were vulnerable to return visits to such establishments?

Denise
Hi Richard

Sheffield Union was a Workhouse covering the areas of:
Comprised Attercliffe *** Darnall, Brightside Bierlow, Bradfield Urban, Ecclesall, Ecclesfield Urban, Handsworth and Sheffield. The workhouse was built in 1881 at Fir Vale, and it later became the site of the Northern General Hospital.

Denise
Thank you Denise, I appreciate that piece of information

I have received Walters death certificate and he died on 14 September 1898 at Sheffield Workhouse. I can't quite make out the cause of death but it would appear to say Pulmoral Exhaustion. The informant on the certificate is harder to read. It seems to be John R Diffin or Riffin, the assistant master of Sheffield Workhouse. Would this be at Fir Vale does anyone know? Thank you everyone, I think I've got the bug!

After much study, Walters death was by Phthieis Pulmonal Exhaustion, a progressively wasting or consumptive condition.

Phthisis pulmonalis is the technical name for tuberculosis, also known as consumption
Dave

Thank you. It must have been a prolonged painful death for him.

Richard
I have received Walters death certificate and he died on 14 September 1898 at Sheffield Workhouse. I can't quite make out the cause of death but it would appear to say Pulmoral Exhaustion. The informant on the certificate is harder to read. It seems to be John R Diffin or Riffin, the assistant master of Sheffield Workhouse. Would this be at Fir Vale does anyone know? Thank you everyone, I think I've got the bug!
Hi Richard

Yes, that would be Fir Vale.

If you go to our menu on the left and select 'Institutions' And then select 'Workhouses' from the options across the top, you'll find lots of info about all the Workhouses in Sheffield including Sheffield Union.

Denise

https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/

Lyn
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/
Yes, that's one of the links included on our 'Workhouses' page.

Denise

You are all so very kind and generous with your help, many thanks