Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help with Photo album

My late parents in law lived in Chesterfield. However, my late mum in law’s parents lived in Carlton Road Sheffield. William Joseph Coates was a joiner and founder member of the Sheffield Wednesday Football Club..and I am told helped build one of the stands.
We inherited a lovely photo album and slowly but surely I am trying to work out who is who.
I have a photo of my husband’s great great ? grandparents outside their store’ Beedhams Ironmongery’.
Is there anywhere or anyone who can help me work out dates and further information?
I live in Lincolnshire but would make a trip to Sheffield at some point in the future.
Thank you for time.
Kind regards,
Lisa

Re: Help with Photo album

Not sure if this would be much help, but could try the Central Sheffield Library. On a visit before Christmas they had a display on the Sheffield Football clubs and there was a lady who’s grandfather designed the original Owls logo - the staff seemed to be quite interested and perhaps could help.

Thank you
Much appreciated
Lisa

You may be able to cross references with photos at Picture Sheffield too.

https://www.picturesheffield.com/frontend.php?action=search2&keywords=Ref_No_increment%2CDate_Period%2CImage_Date%2CTitle%2CFurther_Information%2CKeywords%2CPhotographer%2CImage_Copyright%3BMYSQL_MATCHES%3B%2BWednesday+%2B

Thank you James...how exciting I have managed to put a name to a face on a photo..not a relative but Herbert Chapman SWFC player pictured next to potential relative...both in football kit. Chapman has a most unique quiff which helped me recognise him!
Thank you for signposting me to Picture Sheffield..really useful.
Lisa

Hi Lisa
Following on from James, you might find this useful

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/libraries-archives/access-archives-local-studies-library/research-guides/sheffield-wednesday-football-club

Denise

Lisa

A small point of detail. Herbert Chapman (b 1878) was a very famous football manager (for Arsenal amongst others) after a very undistinguished playing career. He never played football at at the top level, and certainly never for Sheffield Wednesday. The player with the distinctive quiff in the Sheffield Wednesday kit was HENRY "Harry" Chapman (b1879), younger brother of Herbert the Arsenal manager. Harry had a very distinguished playing career as an inside forward for Sheffield Wednesday. Check them both out on Wikipedia)
Dave

Thank you for the correction...my bad !! ( Eyesight lol! )
I really appreciate everyone's input and advice.. Thank you.
I shall be making a date in the future to visit Sheffield Library.
Lisa

Hi Lisa et al,
If I have the correct Wm.Joseph Coates born 1854 (mmn. Wagstaff) and married Lydia Beedham in 1875.
Staying with the Beedham family, Lydia's parents were probably Jabez Beedham and Lucy Todd who married 1855 nr. Southwell, Notts. jabez was a farm labourer for most of his life.
One of Lydia's brothers was Samuel Beedham born 1870 Ecclesall Bierlow.
Samuel's 1st wife, Lily Bell died 1915.
Samuel(widow) remarried in 1917 to Alice Wright. he was 47 and his occupation at that time was Caretaker of the Central Library on Surrey Street. Samuel and Alice both died in Scarborough.
I have not found a link between this Beedham family and your photo of the Ironmonger's store but I was thinking of your intended trip to Sheffield Library and Samuel Beedham working there.
I have found an Isaac Coates who was listed in an 1834 Trades Directory, an Ironmonger at 4 Angel Street.
References: Sheffield Indexers-Family Search-Ancestry-Genuki UK.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you,
Yes..that is the right line.
Yes I have a suspicion that I have a photo of Samuel and his family .
Many of the men have a badge on their lapel...is this linked to a place of work or union?
Thank you
Lisa

Hi Lisa,
Ironmongers did have a Guild which did have a Crest and possibly more local Crests. Hope this link works, if it doesn't, just Google The Worshipful Company of Ironmongers and check out the Archives and the Wikipedia articles.
https://www.ironmongers.org/archives

I seem to recall seeing somewhere..?? a Samuel linked with the store but he was born in the early 1900's (after the Samuel B:1870) maybe he is the connection you need.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Regarding the badge, we’re the family Methodists? Could it have been the badge of some Temperance Association or something?

Heths

Yes..I believe they may have been Methodist..that might be a possibility.
Thank you

From a Sheffield Newspaper dated January 19, 1876.
Marriages: Coates-Beedham, December 25, at the Baptist Chapel, Glossop Road,
by the Rev. J. M. Stephens, B.A. William Joseph, eldest son of William Coates,
to Lydia, eldest daughter of Jabez Beedham, Sheffield.

Moira.