Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Trying to find my Grandad's biological parents' information - Walkley, Sheffield

I am trying to find information and any relatives of my Grandad, Harry Doxey Massey, who was born in Walkley, Sheffield, 1907. I have found his mother was Ada Massey and father Harry Doxey Massey. Harry Doxey Massey lived on Industry Street, Walkley, Sheffield. His mother, Ada Massey was a servant in a house opposite in Carr Road, Walkley. When my Grandad was born he was adopted at 8 months by the Booty family who lived on Orchard Road, Walkley, Sheffield. Grandad always denied he was illegitimate and made up stories about being born in Ireland and sent here. It was a stigma to be illegitimate in those days. My Dad never knew the truth about his Dad. All traces of both his biological mother (who may have married and changed her name) and father have come to nothing, so I am at a dead end.

I would be very grateful if anyone could help with my search.

Re: Trying to find my Grandad's biological parents' information - Walkley, Sheffield

Hi Sue,

He was born in 1900, not 1907. The 1901 census has him aged 8 months.
Baptism was at St Mary Walkley
8 Aug 1900, Massey, Harry Doxey, born 12 July 1900, mother Ada of 42 Orchard Rd.
Father’s name left blank. Note in the margin says “not married”.

Doxey is a Derbyshire name. If you look at wirksworth.org.uk there’s a sub-section called “Doxey corner.”
Your research will probably take you back to Derbyshire eventually, and when you start looking further back that site could be useful.
It’s free of charge

Heths.

Re: Trying to find my Grandad's biological parents' information - Walkley, Sheffield

Hello Sue, pleased to report Harry Doxey Massey was born 1900 no mmn 9c 503 and baptized at St Mary's on this site.

Regards
Terry

In 1911 & 1921 he was the adopted son of the Ledgers at 42 Orchard Rd.

Terry

Ada Massey single b 1872 Sheffield a domestic servant at 74 Harcourt Rd in 1901.Not found in Sheffield 1911.

Terry

Hi Sue,

You say that Harry Doxey Massey lived on Industry St. There was a Samuel Doxey living at 182 Industry St in 1891 / 1901. He died there in 1909. He had a couple of sons living with him - Harry, born ca. 1871 and Willie born ca. 1877. Coincidence...?

Heths