Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Middlewood Hospital detailed records

I was looking to order the detailed record for a patient of Middlewood Hospital to help complete the story of her son who was shipped to Canada through Barnardo Homes, and ultimately gave his life in the Great War. Would like to know if he was truly orphaned, had siblings, etc. Will the detailed record hold any clues in his mother's file? Barnardo's won't release to others except descendants, which he had none. The form to order on the Sheffield Government site isn't working for me, as it is not accepting my phone number (Canada). How can I order this, and is it worth it?

Morton Mary Ann, admitted 24 October 1899, age 42, Charwoman, Attercliffe, cause of admittance Drink, died 12 May 1904, references 6164 NHS3/5/1/13

Thanks for any insight!

Re: Middlewood Hospital detailed records

Contact Sheffield Archives and they will help you.
Do you know Mary Anne Mortons maiden name ?

Thank you for responding Phil. The only information I've been able to find on Harold or his mother is from the following.

From the Children's Admittance/Discharge Books, as it is written:
Harold Dickinson admitted in 1899, illegitimate; mother - Dickinson or Morton? M A, at Workhouse; on discharge note it says, mother died in Asylum 12 5 04.

From the Children's Homes Committee Dated 14 Sep 1905
Resolved: "That the mother of Harold Dickinson, properly Morton, 11, illegitimate, being deceased, the powers and rights of parents be and are hereby vested in the Guardians of this Union until he attains the age of 18 years, or until this resolution be amended or rescinded in accordance with the provisions of the Poor Law Acts, 1889 and 1899."

It would be 3 years later he is shipped to Canada. I also am not having any luck finding his birth register. I don't know if 'properly Morton' refers to her maiden name or a married name.

Find A Grave memorial for Harold, which includes a photo of him that I discovered (displayed in my home, as I kind of self-adopted him!) I also found the extended family that took Harold in, and was able to acquire his Memorial Plaque and Barnardo service plaque. It cost me, but honoured to have that!

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/50534618/harold-dickinson

Again, thanks for any insight!

May help or not but as he was killed in WW1 whilst serving in the armed forces his service record may be available.
I doubt if it will answer your specific questions but may fill in a few gaps.

The 1901 Census has Mary Ann Morton, 45, Charwoman as inmate of South Yorks Asylum, Wadsley and Harry Dickinson, 6, in Sheffield Union Childrens' Home, The Buches, Barnsley Road Brightside, born Sheffield.
Dave.

Correction, Mary Ann was 43
Dave

Her death record was Q2 1904 Wortley volume 9C page 172
Burial was at Wadsley, 16th May 1904 Mary Ann Morton age 47, S.Y Asylum

Heths

Thank you all for the replies. I do have Harold's full WWI service file which holds no clues to any of his family. I doubt he even knew who his mother was due to his age only being 4 at time she was admitted.
I am hoping his mother's detailed record from the Asylum is worth it?? Would it actually give me much information as to whether she was married, single, how many children she had, her circumstances of her admittance, etc.
I would just go ahead and order it, but the form on the Sheffield Archive site will NOT let me finish the form request due to my Canadian phone number not being accepted, even tried looking up how to enter it for overseas. Tried many and said not correct format. Frustrating it is. Anyone have a different method (email) to send my request to?

Thank you

Email the Sheffield Archives for full information.
They will point you in the right direction.

the 1901 Census indicates that she was Married

Dave

Phil Rich
Email the Sheffield Archives for full information.
They will point you in the right direction.
Thank you Dave but I can NOT get an email to go through to the Archives. The form to send an email/request will not work due to it requiring my phone number, which is not being accepted. If you, or anyone else, has the email address that I can directly use to email them, I'd appreciate it.

Archives@sheffield.gov.uk

Phil rich
Archives@sheffield.gov.uk
Thank you kindly Phil. I have emailed them. If anything worth noting to update this thread, I shall come back to this.

At Wadsley church there is a large grassed area where many patients from the mental hospital were buried.
There is a plaque on a wall giving details of years and numbers buried there but no names.

Hi,
If you want a photo of the burial area and plaque just send me your email address.

Phil rich
Hi,
If you want a photo of the burial area and plaque just send me your email address.
I'd like that Phil. Thank you kindly. My email (no spaces) bluebirdflyfreely @ gmail.com

If it brightens up today I will go and take photos and email them to you.

Hi Dawn,
I have emailed you the photos. It is the large grassed area where the burials are.
Best wishes,
Phil.

Dawn
here is an interesting entry from our School Records (over to the left)

DICKINSON, Harold (Student, 1894-06-25).
Parent or guardian name(s): M Dickinson and M A Morton (~), of Workhouse.
Admitted to Sheffield Childrens Home Register, Fir Vale, as of 1899-10-09, ~
until ~, reason for leaving: Discharged to mother. Previously attended ~.
Remarks: Illegitimate.
Dave