Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Ann Hill nee Duke

Hi Ann Duke born 1844 married George Ellis Hill in 1868. I can trace the family but am puzzled that when Ann Hill died in 1887 her death certificate has her as widow of George Hill (it is the correct Ann Hill as the death was witnessed by her sister Emma Turner). George Ellis Hill didn't die until 1919. He was in a mental institution from 1903-1904 and then again in 1904 until his death in 1919. Do you think the status of widow could have been an error or if they were estranged for any reason may it have been recorded as widow. They are together on the 1881 census. Thank you.

Re: Ann Hill nee Duke

Helen
I assume when you say her sister witnessed the death, that her sister registered the death. If that is true then her sister must also have stated to the registrar that she was a widow, You need to work out why she would say that. Perhaps they were estranged at that point.
Dave

But burial record at the left says:
HILL, Ann (Wife of George Hill, age 43).
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on July 10, 1887 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 73, Section H of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 10195.

An image of the register is here (image 801 No 41340).
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3QS7-89F6-H9HF-M?i=800&cat=968584

Clearly says "wife of Geo Hill."
Only additional information is: From what parish removed: Brightside.

I wondered if there was a practice of recording "wife of ..." even if a husband was deceased. But on the surrounding pages I several cases of "widow" - always with husband un-named.

Thanks Dave and Terry. I saw the burial on here and all the information fitted age, date, she was on the 1881 census but not on the 1891. So I looked on GRO and there was only one Ann Hill died in 1887 in Sheffield who was 42 so I sent for the death certificate. This does say widow of George Hill, present at death Emma Turner (who I had as her sister). She dies 4 July so this fits in with the burial but it does say under when and where died 3 Court Princess Street, not Sheffield Union. It gives Emma Turner present at death and residence as 3 Court Princess Street. I assume the burial here and the death certificate are for the same Ann Hill, is there anyway to check this?