Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Hughes - Swales Marriage

Edward Hughes 1870 - 1921 and Ada Swales 1874 - 1951 according to 1911 census had been married 6 years. In 1908 they had a daughter Ellen born 6 August 1908 @ 2 Albert Road Hunslet and registered in Leeds.
I cannot find a marriage for this couple. I believe Edward was RC. His burial and the baptism and burial of later children are on this site. I believe they moved to Sheffield between 1908 and 1910. Ellen and the 2 younger children are registered on the GRO Hughes mmn Swales but the second child is registered as Swales no mmn recorded
I seem to have hit a brick wall possibly a concrete wall. Perhaps there is no marriage at all.
Before I throw in the towel and admit defeat have I missed something?

Re: Hughes - Swales Marriage

There's an Annie zelizabeth Swales born Leeds 1894 mother's maiden name Wardman. I notice on the 1911 census written on the side it says Annie Elizabeth daughter to Adas first husband! More trails to follow!

Yes I have that thank you. However I have a baptism record for her as the illegitimate daughter of Ada. The place of residence fits for the 1901 census.
I have tried a search for a Wardman - Swales marriage with no result.

Martin Swales married Florence E Wardman in Leeds Q3 1893. They had children Annie E b 1794 and then 6 more between 1901 and 1912 (all on GRO Index)
Dave

For what it is worth this is likely to be your Annie Elizabeth birth reg (illegit)
SWALES, ANN ELIZABETH -
GRO Reference: 1894 M Quarter in HUNSLET Volume 09B Page 280
Dave

Thank you for input from you both. I already have information on Annie Elizabeth Swales who was Ada's illegitimate daughter but brought up as her sister in 1901 census. It is Edward and Ada's marriage that is missing. I will have to presume that it didn't happen. Don't you wish we had a time machine to use when doing family history.
Many thanks