Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Loxley Congregational Church, Wadsley, Sheffield.

More Info from "The Small Guide to NonConformist & Roman Catholic Churches in Sheffield."
By S&DFHS

Loxley Congregational Church, Wadsley, Sheffield.
Erected 1787. It had a Burial Ground. It later became a URC. It closed in 1994.

Original Records held at Sheffield Archives.
Baptisms 1799-1830, 1831-1985.
Marriages 1926-1992
Burials 1812-1861

Sheffield Indexers Burials. 1808-1986

IGI (Family Search)
Baptisms 1831-1985
Marriages 1831-1970 (Listed as Bradfield Loxley Congregational)

Photographs on Picture Sheffield.

Elaine.

Re: Loxley Congregational Church, Wadsley, Sheffield.

For those interested the link below shows a drone flyover (very detailed with subtitles) of the Loxley Cong site about one year ago. It was produced by Friends of Loxley Cong., who are very active in cleaning up the site

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2c4XXztb3zw

Dave

"Sheffield Indexers Burials. 1808-1986"

Does this site have Loxley burials? I can't see them on the burials info page.

Spmeone gave me two spread sheets of these burials (Alpha & Grave Order) if anyone needs a look-up.

Hugh

ps I have visited the site - a very interesting place. There are some detailed Sheffield Flood graves

Hi Hugh

Does your Loxley spreadsheet list possibly hold a William Ibbotson 1887 & Elizabeth Ibbotson 1898. Regards David

Hello David,

Plenty of Ibbotsons but none that matches those details.

Hugh

Many thanks for checking.

Morning Hugh,

I have the same sheet probably and thought it was on the site. I have two databases of material I have collected over the years that can not go on the Website. My mistake.I also have the Cemetery plan.

I had checked it out for the "Ibbotsons" Dave & I have been working away at trying to connect his Ibbotsons/Ibbersons and mine.

Some of the children who died seem to have been buried in many different cemeteries. Williams death was on Rockingam St and Elizabeths was in Oughtibridge.

Sorry about the confusion.

Elaine.

PS Hugh I wonder if we both got the burial list from Karen Lightowler??

Elizabeth was a Swain prior to her marriage. Her parents Swain/Fairest from Bradfield.

Hi Hugh/ Elaine

Can I ask does your spreadsheets cover the Long Lane section burials? I note from the friends of Loxley website that there is data protection issues for that section. Regards

Hello David,

I am not sure but I suspect not.

The database labels areas within the cemetery with a three letter code. Some of them - CSS Chapel South Side, CWS Chapel West Side - I can work out. They all begin with C so I suspect these lists are all from the older part of the site.

Hugh

Hello Elaine,

It seems I got them from George Proctor (of Friends of Wardsend) in 2020. He told me:

"it was originally on a CD by John Bailey ex head of the old Hillsborough Community Development Trust"

He also said he got them over 20 years ago.

Hugh

CNT Chapel North Terrace
CLT Chapel Lower Terrace

The large Long Lane Section is north and east of the Chapel grounds beyond a wooded hill and is reached, on foot, via steps near the east end of CNT.
These records are available Only at Sheffield Archives. Some of the graves in the Long Lane section can be seen and read on the Drone flyover I posted
Dave

I have emailed Sheffield Archives regarding Long Lane as a family member to see if they can do a look up for me.

Thanks all

Just recieved reply back from Sheffield Archives. William & Elizabeth Ibbotson are not in Long Lane section either....really thought I had cracked it especially with 2 of there children buried in Loxley and even one off in the same grave as Elizabeth's parents. Back to drawing board!!!

Morning everyone,

My update and suggestions.

Just heard back from Karen Lightowler........

She could not tell me who holds copyright for the LCC......material. She gave me the name of Dr Verity Brack.

Dr. Verity Brack

Secretary

Friends of Loxley Cemetery

loxley.secretary@yahoo.com

https://e-voice.org.uk/friendsofloxleycemetery/

They, Friends of Loxley Cemetery do have a CD of the BURIALS. With that knowledge I dont think she is going to allow us to upload the BURIAL INDEX.

A plug for Karen and her many years of research into the "Sheffield Flood". She has a newsletter that maybe of interest to folks.
KarenL823@aol.com

Elaine in Ottawa.

David Ibbotson
Just recieved reply back from Sheffield Archives. William & Elizabeth Ibbotson are not in Long Lane section either....really thought I had cracked it especially with 2 of there children buried in Loxley and even one off in the same grave as Elizabeth's parents. Back to drawing board!!!
David, Clutching at straws here!!
Looking back at William Ibbotson's newspaper obits it says "FRIENDS please accept this intimation" (my caps)
Could they have been buried as Quakers?
Dave

Can I ask what would a Quacker burial mean?

Sheffield Archives has Quaker burial records for Sheffield. As far as I am aware they have not been transcribed on line.
Quakers, also known as Society of Friends were, I believe, a branch of Congregationalists
Dave

The archives hold a number of documents relating to the Chapel

Registers of Baptisms, 1799 - 1992 (NR2324/1)
Registers of Marriages, 1926 - 1992 (NR2324/2)
Registers of Graves, c. 1806 - 1997 (NR2324/3)
Burial Ground Plans, 1875 - [late 20th cent?] (NR2324/4)
Funeral/Graveyard Notebooks, 1889 - 1991 (NR2324/5)

Date 1787 - 1997
Extent 126 items
AccessStatus Open
Level Collection
Related Material at Sheffield Archives:

Plan of Loxley Chapel burial ground graves with headstones in the ground from the right hand side of the chapel to the retaining wall (sited behind the chapel “on the terrace”), giving inscriptions, drawn and compiled by Mr Ken Bilborough, 1998 (MD7329/1).

Angela