Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Attempting my GGrandparents burial brick wall AGAIN

Sorry for dusting this one off again......but still hoping.

William Ibbotson died 12 Rockingham St, Sheffield West 10 March 1887 aged 46

Elizabeth Ibbotson died Stanley Fold Oughtibridge 6 April 1898 aged 57

I know people have helped me with this before but wondering if any further records have come to light which may help. Thank you

Re: Attempting my GGrandparents burial brick wall AGAIN

Hi David,

Do you have the death certificate for William.....

Because looking at their youngest childs baptism which took place after the death for William.

IBBOTSON, Mary Elizabeth (of Rockingham Street, born 1887-06-20).
Baptised July 5, 1887, by H Woffindin at St George, Brook Hill.
Parents name(s) are Elizabeth & William (File cutter).
Note: ~

It does not state he is deceased. Not saying that could have been left off the entry.

Elaine.

Hi Elaine

Yes I do.

Also have Mary Elizabeth's birth cert which actually say's 22 June 1887 and William is shown as deceased. Regards

Edith child of William and Elizabeth was buried......

IBBOTSON, Edith (~, died on ~, at the age of 3).
Resided at Sheffield and buried on 1877-10-18 in Unconsecrated ground;
Grave Number 3 Row 18, Section CNT of Congregational Chapel Cemetery, Loxley.

Have you checked that Chapel out.

Elaine.

Many thanks for Edith's details. Is there an online search register for Loxley or would I have to contact the secretary of friends of Loxley link to make enquiries.

David

Hello David

On Family Search there is reference to an obituary for William (died 10 March 1887).

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QPCN-4MN1

It mentions Sheffield Daily telegraph, 18 March 1887. accessible on British Newspaper Archive.
Someone might have access, I don't.

I Hope this helps.

Anne

The obituary reads:
IBBOTSON. - March 10, at No.12, Rockingham street, William Ibbotson, youngest son of the late Joseph Ibbotson, farmer, Hagg How, Oughtibridge, aged 46. Friends please accept this intimation.

David
Edith is in a grave CNT Row 18 Grave 3) with 3 Swain family members at Loxley Cong.
In CNT Row 17 Grave 10 is Elizabeth Ibbotson, 2, buried 1871 and there are 5 Swain family members with her
These 2 graves are within the Chapel Grounds. There is another large cemetery area called Long Lane Section
Note this from Friends of Loxley Cong:
"We do not hold names of individuals who are buried in Long Lane sections as we were not allowed to transcribe them due to data protection issues etc. The only way is to look at the headstones to see if the person is named on the stone. The alternative is for the person researching to contact Sheffield Archives as they have the original records and should be able to come up with the information. We are not allowed to do this - it has to be a member of the family."
Dave

Thank you both, this is a great find. May be beginning to break through the wall.

Dave. May I ask do you have the info on the Swain names in both graves. I will contact Sheffield Archives regarding my GGrandparents William & Elizabeth to see if they are also in Loxley Cong

My GGmother Elizabeth was a Swain

Grave 3 Row 18
Edith Ibbotson 3 1877
charlotte Swain 57 1868
Joseph Swain 25 1874
William Swain 50 1861

Grave 10 Row 17
Elizabeth Ibbotson 2 1871
Maria Black 47 1891
Ann Swain 41 1863
Arthur Swain 34 1888
Emma Swain 6 1866
Henry Swain 78 1884
Herbert Swain 12 1867

Dave

Many thank Dave, that a great help.

Going Back to the research on William Ibbotson & Elizabeth Swain.
Marriage took place at St Georges, Brook Hill.(1863)

This couple had 12 children. William was a Filesmith.Died of pneumonia.

William Ibbotson born March of 1843 Asp Sands Bradfield. parents Joseph & Matilda
Ibbotson. They were buried in Oughtibridge.

When William died in 1887 they were living on Rockingham St.
Elizabeth moved to Oughtibridge.

1891 Dam Head Cottage, Gate. Oughtibridge
Elizabeth Ibbotson widow aged 48 born Sheffield.
Jane 24
George 14
William 9
Charlotte 6
Mary 3
Herbert aged 17

I wonder if they were on PARISH RELIEF. Maybe Malcolm Nunn at Bradfield Archives would be able to help. If there was no money who would cover the cost of the funerals? Maybe the reason for the use of old family burial plots.

Elizabeth died as an Ibbotson so had not remarried. Death 1898 at Stanley Fold, Oughtibridge. By that time I would have thought there would have been less likelihood of a missing burial entry.

Fingers crossed that they will turn up.

Elaine in Ottawa.

I would suggest that the "Friends" maybe very unlikely.

This family seem either to use a C of E Church or a Congregational Chapel.

Jane Ibbotson 1867/71? a daughter of William & Elizabeth married at the Cogregational Chapel in Oughtibridge in 1916.

Elaine in Ottawa.

To Dave Ibbotson.......Do you have where all the children of William & Elizabeth were buried?

Hi Elaine

I can confirm 8 locations out of the 11

Albert..Church of Ascension

Edith & Elizabeth..Loxley Cong

Jane, Herbert & George...Birtin

William..Sittingbourne Kent

Charlotte...Hutchcliff Wood Crematorium

Sheffield Archives have sent me a copy of all the Ibbotson's in Loxley Congregational

Regards
David

It's like banging your head against a brick wall with this couple........

Even if William was in a "Paupers Grave" you would have thought Elizabeth's own death/burial in 1898 would have been easier to trace. Her parents being in Loxley Cemetery I thought that would have been a clue.

Elaine.

All the children of Wiliam and Elizabeth were baptised C of E, including Mary Elizabeth who was baptised at St George a few months after William died at Rockingham St.
The General Cemetery records I have stop at 1891, so if Elizabeth was buried there in 1898 she would not show up.
It may be worth contacting Gen Cem direct by email to see if Elizabeth is there.
Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for advice. Think they charge a fee but will give it a try

David

Just recieved reply back from General Cemetery...they do not have a Elizabeth Ibbotson who died 1898.

I have just noticed an issue regarding the age 57 on Elizabeth's death cert. Her birth certificate reads 2 Dec 1844 and death certificate reads 6 Apr 1898. Doing a date calculation her age at death was 53 yrs 4 months 4 days, therefore wondering if the 7 (57) on the death certificate is a 4. Not sure if that makes any difference in finding her. Regards

Looking through my cd of burials I have not found a burial for an Elizabeth Ibbotson in 1898 so I wonder if her burial for some reason has not been recorded or was she not buried in Sheffield.

Was Elizabeth previously married and if so where was her first husband buried as she could have been there.

Are you 100% sure you have the correct death because there is a burial for an elizabeth Ibbotson in 1892 in Outibridge which states her age at death was 56

Hi John,

Elizabeth was 19 when she married in 1863 at St Georges.A spinster.

She was 48 years old on the 1891 census.

Elaine.

Hi John

The 1892 Elizabeth is definitely not correct, I have seen and have photo of headstone and she is with her husband Joseph Ibbotson

Hi David,

Elizabeth was married to William(1843-1887) and its their burials we are trying to solve.

The photograph you mentioned is it William & Elizabeth?

Williams father was Joseph and his mother was Matilda Hobson.Both buried Church of Ascension Oughtibridge.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Yes it is William & Elizabeth we are looking for. The 1892 Elizabeth that John was querying is in The Church of Ascension along with a husband Joseph...wrong Elizabeth.