Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Adoption help

Can anyone advise where to start re adoption. Trying to find mother of adopted son. He is dead so trying to solve his history.

Re: Adoption help

Susan, I assume this is a modern adoption, ie after 1927 when official adoption was first introduced. The living adoptee would need to go through a legal intermediary who would be able to find the mother and establish that she would be willing to be identified to the adoptee. As far as I am aware that procedure is not legally available to any person other than the adoptee.

Dave

Hi Dave, will check the dates but I think it's before 1927. I am ask8ng for a friend. His father now dead was adopted so no one around to ask. I think he was born in a
home for young girls.

Susan, before 1o27 there was no official adoption system. It was very much an ad hoc system.
If you provide details we will try to find some sort of evidence.
Dave

Susan, using a combination of Free BMD and GROIndex it is possible to produce a short list of illegitimate birth registrations in the right registration district(s) at the right time period. If you are lucky that list can be further shortened using 1939 register and death registations. If you have the "adopee's" exact birthdate then you have a chance to identify it from a very short list of potential birth certs.
Dave

Hi Susan,

Regarding the home for young girls, could it have been The House of Help for Girls and Young Women? My 1923 Kellys says it was "intended to help destitute girls, and to rescue those who have lost their characters in any way."

In the 1891 and 1901 census it was at 1 Paradise Square. It had moved to 17 Paradise Square by the 1911 census, and was still there in the 1939 register.

Heths

I don't think it was Sheffield. I will be speaking to my friend next week and hope to get more details.