Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Frank Ellis

I can remember Frank Ellis. He was married to my grandmother Lily Dunkerley. He was as very big man , wore a flat cap and a waistcoat. Trousers up to his chest held up by braces and a leather belt. I was only 4 when he died but my memory of him is that he was very friendly and kind. Lily Ellis ( Dunkerley ) was living at Walkley during the great Sheffield gale in the early sixties and was badly injured when the chimney stack fell through the roof onto her bed. She never really recovered and was nursed by her family moving from home to home until her death in 1963

Hi David,
To add to Barry's find:
Possible marriage for Frank's possible parents:
MARK ELLIS married 1859 June qtr. Rotherham District to MARTHA FISHER.

Quite a few of their children can be found over to your left under Parish Records/Births, including Frank. These date from 1865, prior to that you have to check out the GRO records where you will find a number of possibilities for the missing period from 1859 to 1865 but the problem already mentioned there were more than one Fisher/Ellis marriages around 1859++ and sadly, GRO do not give first names of the mother.

The obit. for Lily Ellis (nee Whitehead/Dunkerley) is also over to your left under Burial Records.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

The 1939 register provides a birthday for Frank Ellis etc.
7 Winster Road, Sheffield
Ellis Frank, May 4 1880, labourer – wire mill
Ellis Tom, Feb 19 1920 Unemployed
Ellis (Dunkerly struck out) Lily Oct 11 1882, unpaid dom work
Dunkerly Walter Jan 13 1916, Inserting twist drills and progressing engineers small tools
Next entry struck out (born less than 100 years ago)

With the birthday you might be able to narrow down birth options at GRO & mother’s maiden name.

At GRO there is one Frank Ellis registration 2nd quarter 1880:
ELLIS, FRANK mother's maiden name FISHER
GRO Reference: 1880 J Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 468

I'm a bit late on the scene. There seems to have been active discussion at https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/

Blimey Steve! That's an incredible recollection,so many many thanks!!
Also thanks for the information re Lily.
I have been in touch with a Philip Dunkerley who has also been so incredibly helpful.
I wonder if you had any photo of him? A long shot I know.
I have heard he was a very large man with a handlebar mustache.

Once again, many thanks for your reply, it means an awful lot!

Thanks very much for your message, will check out Sheffield Forum!

Glad to help. Philip is my cousin ! We could possibly have photos in our loft. I will have to search them out.

Wow! That would be amazing Steve!!