Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: missing child

Wendy, thank you for that, I thought about that the problem being that if he was still alive in 1911 on the census it would surely have said 5 still living.

Not found him on the census with the family prior to 1911.

There was another Dent with a mmn Dent so I was wondering if that is the child in question but not yet check that regarding deaths.

I shall have a proper study over the next few days.

There is still a possibility they had a child before marriage with surname Dent?

Hi John S,

Some 'Trees' on Ancestry have a Charles F.D. Parnaby as a possible same person for Charles F.D. Dent but I have not been able to confirm this, even though there are similarities in the 1901 census e.g. same occupation (Colliery Stoneman underground) as in 1939 (but retired). The 1901 census has Parnaby (single) boarding with the Ferguson family at 24 Double Row, Eldon, Durham.
In 1939 Charles F. Dent is with his wife, Isabella and 4 children residing at South Row, Shildon??, Durham with his birth date as 5th Nov/1873.

There are numerous records of Fred/Frederick Dent/Parnaby on Family Search like searching for a needle in a haystack...!!

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi John S.,
The other DENT you refer to EMMERSON DENT B:1872 mmn DENT
appeared to marry in 1903 to Mary Ann Evans, a short marriage as EMMERSON died in 1909 in a rather gruesome work accident, age 37 so he did die before 1911 when the census was taken. Mary Ann was named his beneficiary.

Conclusions: Yes, it could have been EMMERSON DENT who died 1909, born 1872 Sept.qtr.Darlington Union. mmn DENT
Of interest there were two other DENT/DENT births at Darlington Union recorded on the GRO CHARLES B:1865 & WILLIAM THOMAS B:1862 however,Margaret Hammond Dent would have probably been too young to be the mother of the last two IF she was born about 1853/55.
Also of interest, there does not appear to be any appropriate marriages between DENT AND DENT in the Durham region.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Could this missing child be born and died in between 2 census

DENT, EMMERSON DENT
GRO Reference: 1872 S Quarter in DARLINGTON UNION Volume 10A Page 5

The baptism is on FMP it was at Middleton St George, Durham. His father was named as Emmerson and his mother Mary.
However in the censuses (81,91) Emmerson (junior) is consistently with his father John and mother Mary.
Dave

Thank you folks, I shall check the details for Emmerson Dent later, I shall see if I can find him on the 1901 census.

I take it you found he died in a works accident in the newspaper section, did this mention anything regarding family other then his wife?

I wonder if there is an obituary anywhere and a inquest report

John S

Hi John S,

The probate details naming Mary Ann as the beneficiary are on Family Search website as is the 1901 census for Emerson and also the Find a Grave link.
Ancestry gives a few more details that Emerson was residing at 64 Bedford Street in 1909 and that he left to Mary Ann his widow 570 bps 6s 8d.

I am sorry John, I have been trying to find the record for Emmerson's accident which claimed his life. I was sure it was on Family Search but I have failed to find it again for you. If I stumble across it again I will let you know.

HAPPY HUNTING :sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you Wendy, I might have to take a gamble and send for the birth certificate to see if this is the missing child but shall have to wait for next pay day!!!!!!!!