Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Transcription error

Hello. I have looked at the original records and at first glance it does look like 11 but if you look closely at some of the other burials on the same page, the person who recorded the burials seemed to make his six's look like one's. I would definitely say it should read 16.

Regards
Rich

Hi Rich,

Thanks for the update I will certainly change it.

BUT..... Do I need to change any others?

Elaine.

Sorry ... have I opened a can of worms!!
Personally I would leave it until someone queries something similar. Or maybe check just the pages where that person has made entries if there's not too many.
If you need some help with checking let me know.
There's also the thought though of how do you know if it's a 1 or a 6 anyway!!

Hi Karen,

Not at all, this is what we do. Change transcriptions where its deemed to be our mistake.

I have already changed it and will leave it as #6.

I have looked at our database for page 966 and there are very few "one" so it wouldn't take long to check. I keep a copy of the originals when we transcribe them but in this case its a copy of the transcription that didn't help me at all.

So I am throwing it back in your court to check with Sheffield Archives what it actually says on the original page.

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

And a superb job you all do too!
As Rich has said what he has and the death certificate I have says 16 too I'm going to take it as read.
I've also had someone who has looked in the directories for me and they have number 16 as being a fish and chip shop so it all makes sense.
Also if you look at the burials from same address option here on the burials database a previous tenant of 16 Langsett Road was also dealing in fish.
Thanks so much for your help.
Karen x