Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Kenyon Descendants

Hi All

Big ask, but I'm hoping this forum maybe be able to help with my research.
Through Ancestry DNA, I've managed to local 'half cousins' from Maria Kenyon born abt. 1881 to Joseph and Elizabeth Kenyon (nee Irons). Maria immigrated out to Australia at about the age of 30 and had a child (my grandmother) in 1914 in a place called St Kilda, Victoria. Ethel (child) then came to live with a couple Rose and Sydney Collier (I think from Sommerset) who had also immigrated out to Australia and resided in Wanthaggi, Victoria.

Anyway, Maria went on to marry a gentleman (56) in 1916 and went on to have 3 children; 1917,1918,1919 and it's these descendants who I've managed to locate, but they had no idea about another child, so you can imagine their surprise when I reached out to them! Unfortunately there's no photos of Maria (other than her wedding day) and I was hoping that through searching for other 'Kenyon' family members, I maybe to be descendants in this forum of;
Joseph Kenyon B: abt 1845 m: Elizabeth Irons
William B: abt 1867
Harriet B: abt 1876
Clara B: abt 1879
Maria B: abt 1881

Regards
Kim
(from Austalia)

Re: Kenyon Descendants

Hi Kim, I am confused by your search whos child is it your looking for? Any way this is some info i found. KENYON, Joseph (Bachelor, age 23, Furnaceman, residing at Carlisle St East).
Married Elizabeth Jane HINDS, on October 27, 1866, by William Murray (Banns) at
St Thomas, Brightside. Father's name is William Kenyon (Labourer). Maiden name of Elizabeth is Hines or Hinds. KENYON, MARIA HINES
GRO Reference: 1880 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 519
In 1901 census she is a domestic servant with George H Headley and family on Howard Road, Sheffield. This could be what you are looking for? KENYON, ELLEN HINES
GRO Reference: 1873 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 503

Kim
There are trees on Ancestry for this family but no one seems to know what happened to William, Harriett or Clara.
Also Elizabeth's maiden name on the birth records seems to vary between Hines, Himes and Hinds, but not IRONS

Clara Kenyon married age 30 on 20th Feb 1910 at Pye Bank Methodist Sheffield to Albert Edward Stevenson. Her father name given as Joseph Kenyon (dec) occupation Slater. That fits with the 1881 census.
The family unit of 4 is on the 1921 census on Cambridge Street: Albert, Clara, and daughter HILDA (b 1911). The fourth occupant is WILLIAM KENYON, Clara's brother and he is SINGLE (age 53).
Out of that you can conclude that William had no issue and Clara had just one child, Hilda in 1911.
There is a marriage in Sheffield in 1934 for a Hilda Stevenson to Walter Capps and it looks like they had 3 children. The marriage certificate (purchasable from GRO website) will name her father, which would confirm or deny if she is the right one.
It is the policy on this site not to name persons who may be still living. I suggest you familiarise yourself with the website FreeBMD.
Dave

Hi Barry
Thank you for reviewing my request and following up with some further information in my quest to locate family descendants of the 'Kenyon' family.
I will look into the information you've provided.

Regards

Kim

Hi Dave

Thank you for reviewing my request and following up with some further information in my quest to locate family descendants of the 'Kenyon' family.

It's quite extensive and I can add to Clara's information to her in my tree.

I will look into the information you've provided.

Regards

Kim