Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Married twice ? Dunkerley & Hall

Wilfred’s birth certificate hasn’t revealed anything new. He was born in Hayfield Glossop on 20 th July 1861. Mothers name Mary Dunkerly . Fathers name left blank.

Thankyou for your hard work however I do have the information you found. I also have John and Mary’s marriage certificate which states that he is of age and his father is Daniel Dunkerley. John does seem to disappear though and cannot be found after his marriage in 1856. I believe I have found their son Herbert in 1861 under Herbert Domcaly , boarder.
I hadn’t considered that the marriage might be illegal on Mary’s part but wondered if it has ever been known for thd Vicar or registrar to have unknowingly been performing marriages?
Louise

Louise
On the 1856 marriage of John Dunkerley to Mary Bray, what is john's occupation please?
Dave

He is a millwright

Louise, thanks for the occupation. Sorry I should also have asked for his address at the time of the marriage in 1856 please.

Are you aware of the following two newspaper articles in 1862
Huddersfield Chronicle August 16th
Glossop Record Nov 1st

In the first a John Dunkerley of Quickwood near Mossley was found guilty of assaulting his wife
and sentenced to 14 days at Wakefield house of correction.

In the second, quite a long article, a young woman called Ann Davies is found guilty of stealing clothing (including a baby jacket) from the house of John Dunkerley, Glossop. On reading the full article it is clear that although it was the house of John Dunkerley, he was not there. His wife MARY Dunkerley was the person showing kindness to Ann Davies and providing her with a bed for the night, and it was she (Mary Dunkerley)who chased the accused (about 6am) and brought her to court.

Food for thought
Dave

The address given is just Ashton. They are married at Ashton Under Lyne.
Thd newspaper articles are interesting. Mary was born in Glossop and her son Herbert is a boarder there in 1861. Thankyou for that. I don't have access to newspaper reports or censuses at this point. I'm getting nearly all of my information from Sheffield Indexers.

Dave, just discovered that Mossley is in Ashton Under Lyne. The plot thickens
Louise

Presume it was Mary that registered the birth.

Louise,
What was Mary's address Please?

I think it clearly says that John Dunkerley was not the father.
Dave

Yes Mary registered the birth. It just says Mary Dunkerley mother . Glossop. No maiden name or actual address. I’m guessing he is the son of Charles Hall !

Louise, that is a shame. There is usually an address on birth cert. Does it not give an address for place of birth?
Dave

No, just that it was registered at Hayfield. I’d hoped that if would at least give her maiden name.