Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Richard Fox born 1875

Just checked the baptism record, not been changed so is something up with the database

Morning,

Checked and it reads the following.

Fox, Richard (of The Park, born 1875-11-17).
Baptised March 1, 1876, by Thos Wilkins Vicar at St Michael & All Angels, Neepsend.
Parents name(s) are Ellen & George (Grinder).

John I think its your computer......

Top of the page left hand side there is is an arrow in a circle. Click on it and it should give your computer a nudge to update itself.

Elaine.

This is a browser issue.I use Opera and the date has not been changed.Rechecking in Firefox and the date has been changed. Perhaps it also affects other areas of research

Regards

Terry

Hi Terry

Might be a case of clearing the cache in Opera if thats the browser you usually use to access the site.

Denise

I use google chrome and not worked on that either. PS how do you clear caches please

Hi John

I'm using Chrome and its fine.

So to clear the cache in Chrome:

Top right hand corner of the Chrome window there are 3 dots in a vertical line. Click on the dots.
That opens up a pop up window. Select 'Settings' near the bottom of the pop up.

Opens up 'Settings' window. Select 'Privacy & Security' from the menu on the left hand side to access the 'Privacy & Security' section.

Select 'Clear browsing data' which opens up a pop up window, with a list of selections with tick boxes.

Click the tick box for the 'Cached images and files' option. Make sure this is the ONLY box that's ticked.

Then select the 'Clear Data' button at the bottom of the pop up window.

Depending on how much data there is (should tell you at the side of the 'cached images and files' option), it may take a while to clear.

Once its finished, try accessing Baptisms again.

Denise

Thanks Denise, all sorted

John,

I have not really studied your James/Richard problem but I have information on the family of his mother Ellen Woodcock if you are interested. (I have a connection with her next older brother Frederick.) Her parents were James Woodcock and Mary Hobson who married at Sheffield Parish Church 27 Mar 1848. James' obituary is in Sheffield Daily Telegraph 7 Sep 1907 p8.

Sally

Sally, thank you for your interest, Regarding James Woodcock and Mary Hobson the only info I have is James was born in 1827 and his parents were James and Mary ?

As for Mary Hobson, the only info I have is she was born circa 1830 in Derbyshire parents unknown.

If you are willing to fill in those missing blanks for me it would be appreciated.

Regards

John

Hi John,
These are entries from Findmypast which have images available. Had to re-space them from small tables so they may jumble up in transmission! (I always use "Sheffield St. Peter" because that was the name at the time.)

FAMILY OF JOHN WOODCOCK b 1786, & MARY (ANN) SELWOOD b 1796
FMP Yorkshire baptisms - abode: Sheffield
James Woodcock 1 Mar 1827 29 Apr 1827 John, cutler Mary Sheffield, St Peter
Robert Woodcock 6 Mar 1829 12 Jul 1829 John, cutler Mary Ann Sheffield, St Peter
William Woodcock 12 Sep 1831 31 Dec 1834 John, cutler Mary Ann Sheffield, St Peter
Sheffield Archives-Ref: PR-138-2-15 James, PR-138-2-17 Robert, PR-138-2-21 William

FMP Yorkshire burials - abode: Brown’s Row, Rockingham St.
Robert Woodcock age 1 15 Mar 1830 son of Jno Sheffield, St George, Brook Hill
Ref: PR-62-3-1

In the 1841 census Mary Hobson is a female servant at Drakehouse, DBY
She appears to be the youngest of 5 children of George & Elizabeth(Hay?), bp 21 Jun 1829 Beighton, DBY. Ref: PR-138-2-2

A puzzle is the parents of John Woodcock. He is the eldest of a family of John & Ann, but there were two marriages of a John Woodcock to an Ann, in 1784 and 1785 (Darwin or Season).
Ref: PR-138-3-6
FMP Yorkshire baptisms, and FreeReg
John Woodcock 22 Jan 1786 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
George Woodcock 16 Nov 1787 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
Mary Woodcock 29 Jul 1789 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
William Woodcock 6 Jul 1791 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
Jane Woodcock 6 Nov 1793 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
Peter Woodcock 24 Jul 1796 John Ann Sheffield, St Peter
Ref: PR-138-1-12
These are definitely the correct siblings because James is mentioned as a cousin to three of Peter's sons at a funeral in 1899! I am also puzzled by the fate of John b1786, I have a theory, difficult to prove.

I have since come across your query about Fanny/Frances Woodcock, dau. of James. There is a FreeBMD entry for a Fanny in SepQ 1848. "Frances" was probably thought more sophisticated, but among people who attended James' funeral was Mrs. Fanny Middleton, daughter.

More to say, email me if you wish.
Regards, Sally

Thank you for the info Sally, I shall add it to my notes..need to get rid of the dust first haha

just a theory and not checked myself yet but could the first ann (marriage 1784) have died say in childbirth and John married the second Ann the following year?

John

John, I have looked for a burial of Ann Woodcock, 1784-5, not found.

CORRECTION: Sheffield Archives ref for bap. of Mary Hobson should be PR-73-2-1

I forgot to give you the marriage of John W. and Mary Ann Selwood:
FMP Yorkshire marriages:
John Woodcock (X), Ba, otp
Mary Ann Selwood (X), Sp, otp
6 May 1825, banns, Sheffield, St Peter
ref:PR-138-3-21

FMP Yorkshire baptisms:
Mary Ann Sellwood 10 Apr 1796 Willm Hanh Blacksmith Sheffield, St Peter
ref: PR-138-2-2

Sellwood/Addy marriage at Mexborough 28 Mar 1785, 3 baptisms there, then 7 at Sheffield.
After Mary Ann, William changed from Blacksmith to Edge Tool Maker, which is what James became.
(Some confusion over the transcription of the correct baptism dates at Mexborough, the clerk appears to have headed one page incorrectly.)
William & Hannah Selwood appear to have been buried at Tinsley in 1845 & 1846.

Hope you've finished dusting!
Regards, Sally

Sally, Ellen Woodcock that married George Wells Fox....

Have you got Ellen's exact date of birth please?

John

John, No sorry I haven't, only JunQ 1855. I have not found baptisms for any of this family so assume church(s) or dates not yet indexed. In that decade they moved from Jericho to Eyre Street but I haven't checked the parish boundaries. Sally

PS Just received an email to say Ancestry is free until Monday.