Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pilgrimage

Hi Jim

I have emailed you.

Ann

What a fantastic offer Ann. I am sure Jim will be in touch with you and yes he is a very nice person.

Elaine in a 92cm snowy Ottawa.

Hi Elaine

Lovely skiing weather!!!

Ann

Rog

Do you want to get involved in any of this when Jim comes over...I mean with your recent expertise for your lads' benefit...if any of it coincides with his areas in Sheffield? A lot of mine do as it happens. Feel free to tag along.

Ann

Hello All
I am humbled by these offers to say the least.

There is so much more to genealogy than date determination and certification. I would not know half of what I do now without the help and cooperation of fellow researches and in particular the vast number of indexers that reveal the old records. I tried doing it once and to be honest I found it impossible.

I have been enlightened by folks on this forum and volunteers in Guildford, Preston and Liverpool. Sheffield Family History also provided a solid basis of fact for my research. All in all I consider myself a lucky man. I am the only person living or dead to know the truths that previous generations deemed too sensitive to pass on. Stumbling blindly into the abyss of the past I was able to not only deduce facts but I was inspired to keep digging and learn to ask questions to colour between the lines and look outside the lines for cultural direction and the stories and reason attached to the facts.

My visit will involve a visit to the unmarked grave of my real great grandfather. A man who had 8 children with my great grandmother and all of whom emigrated to Canada upon his death or shortly after. He died in 1910 and I am pretty sure I will be the first visitor to his grave in over 100 years. It is bound to be emotional.

As for placing a stone on his grave I can do that or make the trip but not both. Selfishly I have decided to go as there are other compelling histories up and down the crooked branches of my family tree that need a witness.

Thanks seems a small word in context. Please know it to be sincere.
Cheerio
Jim