Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Chip Shop earliest records

Hi

There has been a history board up on the actual shop inside wall that customers can read while queuing inside, including old photos.

Hi Matthew,
From a couple of sources on the internet,
Two Steps Fish & Chip Shop opened in 1895.
This would tie in with James Bolton in 1891, being a Table Knife Cutter(Cutler??) living on Franklin Street and the already referenced 1901 census showing James Bolton residing at 249 Sharrow Vale Road, occupation Fried Fish Dealer.
In 1911 if I have the correct James Bolton, he was a Tea Agent in the grocery industry.
HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi again

Cut myself off handling my new tablet! No message edit button on this app?.

The history board has been up in the shop for at least 20 years, since the lovely Graham worked in there with his parents, who retired and sold it. Thanks to Graham being my schoolgirl crush, I've eaten more Two Steps fish and chips than I dare to admit, living swithin yards of it. Probably one of its oldest living customers even now.

The new owners put the history board up, and all subsequent owners/lessees/managers kept it up as a sort of 'oldest and best' marketing ploy. Sadly the quality of the fish there has varied since Graham's family sold it, and beef dripping went out of fashion. Have returned a few 'carpet dry fish' when bought not long after evening opening. Exchanged without hassle.

The Chinese-owned 'British style' fish and chip shop at the bottom of Greystones Road seems to be considered the best in the area by the local community, and is worth the short walk/drive. The Chinese have no competitors when cooking battered fish.

Two steps is still very popular with lunchtime passing and local trades people and tourists/visitors, because they do a smaller lunch portion option. The Staff do offer a few (free) chips 'thrown on' to a standard size single fish order to OAPs, which is a kind gesture and much appreciated by smaller appetites not wanting to pay for a full (large) portion, half of which is not eaten.

Ann