Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
A bit of background into Henry W. Leah and Sons, Holloware Stampers

I am a granddaughter of Henry Wilson Leah, and my mother was named Clarice Mary Twelves, nee Leah. She was his elder daughter. My grandfather had seven children, one of which took over the holloware stamping business when my grandfather died in 1939. His name was Harry Leah and during his time, the business was sold in the 50s.

My cousin, John Wilson Leah took me for a tour of the derelict works in the 90s on my visit from Canada, and I was at once impressed but also saddened to see the neglect and wondering if anything would ever be done to salvage it for posterity.

Congratulations and thanks for this restoration work to preserve a part of Sheffield’s history in the trades.

Frances Munster, nee Twelves

Re: A bit of background into Henry W. Leah and Sons, Holloware Stampers

I am the.great great grandson of Henry Leah, my father was John Leah. The business was sold in the 1970s not the 50s the restoration works seems to be progressing well,just a pity it won’t be completed this year as I am visiting Sheffield from my home in Australia. Quite happy to furnish information on Leah’s. Reports I have read from Yorkshire post were inaccurate. Henry was a Holloware stamper not a die sinker as stated in the papers article. The firm was moved by Henry to Cambridge street as he wanted larger premises. Also interested in genealogical history of the family.