Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Allotments Neepsend

I been researching my family from Sheffield and have come across a number of men whose occupations are gardeners. The first one is James Kinsey who died in 1703 so I figure he had been gardening for years before this. The last gardener is Kinsey Winnell who died in 1794. Both of their wills mention leaving land at Neepsend. Land Tax exemption records show a number of Winnells also gardening at this time. Picture Sheffield has some useful maps but I'd like to get a copy of this book "A History of Allotments in Sheffield" by Margaret Boulton however it seems to be unavailable. Does anyone know if it is still in print? Any other suggestions gratefully received.

Bev Wilson

Re: Allotments Neepsend

There's a detailed article from the British Agricultural History Society here: https://bahs.org.uk/AGHR/ARTICLES/51n1a5.pdf

Sorry, can't help with locating a copy of the book.

The 1st August 1789 edition of the Sheffield Register had an advert placed by the auctioneer on behalf of "Kinsey Winnell, Gardener, in Scotland ftreet, Sheffield" for three messuages at Brightside, one of which was a public house, together with the Cutlers shops, stable and other appurtnances "in the feveral Occupations of George Milner, Mark Bottom, and Joseph Darwin". The sale to take place at the New Inn at Bridgehouses.

Hi
The Jackson Collection may hold information:

Jackson Collection. The collection was made by three generations of Sheffield surgeons, the last of whom was Arthur Jackson (d. 1914). It includes many papers of the Sheffield genealogist, William Swift (d.1874),
Reference JC/16/2
The Winnell family is certainly listed in this collection.

Also: www.wyjs.org.uk/archive-service/registry-of-deeds-and-family-and-local-history/
They hold one of only five surviving Registry of Deeds in the whole country. It contains memorial copies of over seven million deeds covering the years 1704 to September 1970.

What the deeds can help you with:

Tracing the history of a house
Tracing people who owned land or property before 1970
Getting certified copies of pre 1970 deeds for legal purposes
The Registry of Deeds can be used for legal purposes or for family and local history.

Angela

"but I'd like to get a copy of this book "A History of Allotments in Sheffield" by Margaret Boulton however it seems to be unavailable."
Amazon claim to have it for about £40.

Have you tried Sheffield Local Studies library to see if they have a copy of the book.