Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Mawson confusion

Hi there don’t know if anyone can help as I have posted about this many years ago, one of my distant relatives Ellen Mawson was born around 1842 and I can see her on all of the census returns up till 1871 she even appears after this but it’s the time period of the 70s that I think would be most interesting.
She is in the previous census as living at home with her parents William and Anne and siblings but in 71 they are still there but she is not. I found through many years of research that in 1872 she had an illegitimate daughter with the name Court on the birth certificate and an address of wentworth street but it has always puzzled me how she survived financially as until about 1876 when she had another baby to her then lodger John Webb there doesn’t seem to be a wage earner present .
I did check for the surname Court and there are a couple but married which I know could be the reason why I can’t find her on the census.
Hope this all makes sense and if anyone has any ideas I would be great full

Re: Mawson confusion

Hi Allison,
On the GRO website the following birth reg's:
ANNIE COURT MAWSON B:1872 Dec.qtr. Ecclesall Bierlow..no mmn

FREDERICK WEBB MAWSON B:1878, Sept.qtr., Sheffield, no mmn.

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Thank you I have a copy of Annie’s birth certificate which states her middle name as Court assumedly her fathers surname I wondered if anyone can suggest how she would have supported herself with a baby without going in to the workhouse?
I have tried so many searches for her in the 1871 census including checking if she is with family members and transcribed wrongly.
I wonder if this will be something I will never get to the bottom of ?

She was a dressmaker in 1881, that would have given her some income.

Heths

Hi Allison,
On the UK Census On Line website for 1871 census there is an entry for:
ELLEN MAWSON age 22 (B:1838..??) Dressmaker

I do not have access to the full details, maybe someone else does.

There is another entry for:
JOHN WEBB age 35 (B:1836..??) Iron Moulder.
Comment: The occupation for John seems to fit but the age for John is way off and the age for Ellen is a little off but the occupation is spot on)

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy: