Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Knife

Hi.....Maybe you can help me out I have a Bowie knife Made by Joseph Law 13 Spring LA., Sheffield
I am not sure of the year or the value I appreciate Some Information (I look on the site and cannot find it)
Thank you Mike

Instant Messenger: I have a bowie knife By Joseph Law

Re: Knife

Mike,
May I suggest you post your question, and pictures of the knife, on the following US based forum. You will need to sign up but it is cost-free:

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/knife_forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=74993

Dave

Re: Knife

From Tweedale’s Directory of Sheffield Cutlery Manufactures 1740-2010

Flayderman (2004) shows a fine Bowie knife, etched with the slogan “The Gold Digger’s Companion”, and with the words “TRY ME” on the ricasso inside a winged horse. It is marked Joseph Law, Spring Lane. In 1841, this cutler – aged 24 with a wife Ann – was listed as a maker of spring knives and running a beer house in Trippet Lane. The press reported that in 1843 a Joseph Law (otherwise known as Joseph Low), spring knife cutler, Bath Street, was bankrupt.

In 1845, JosephLaw (not identified) was listed as a pen and pocket knife manufacturer in Thomas Street. Between about 1850 and 1863, Joseph Law (and his wife Ann and family) was listed at Broomspring Lane. He was described in the Census as Joseph Middleton Law, or Joseph Law Jun). Between the late 1860’s and 1876, Law operated frnm Court 2, Sydney Street. His name disappeared after that date.