Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Missing Death record ?

Tracing the death of Thomas Gill (born 18/04/1866)in Darley Dale,Derbyshire,I have come to a brickwall,he does not appear on the BMD indexes.He moved, married ,and lived in Sheffield in 1916,but then disappears from the 1921 and 1939 records.Having discounted a move out of Sheffield,by checking possible death records, throughout the UK,I would appreciate any advice as to how to proceed?Is there any other way of tracing a death ?

Re: Missing Death record ?

Have you checked to see if he died abroad in WW1?.
Dave

As he would be in his 50's I had discounted this on the basis, he was beyond conscription age.

Hi David,

Just looked at FMP and the 1911 census. Is this the right family as they were all in Darley Bridge. Thomas aged 45 a widower and a gardener. a number of children.

Had he been in the Army??? around 1900.

Elaine in Ottawa.

That is the correct family,haven't seen evidence of being in the army.He was widowed in 1906 ( Esther)

Hi, we believe that both Thomas and his son George moved to Sheffield between 1911 and 1915 where they married sisters. George married Mabel Nicholson in 1914 and Thomas Charlotte Ellen Nicholson in 1915. Thomas and Charlotte went on to have a daughter in 1916, May Gill who was my Grandmother and David's mother. The marriage certs etc all point towards this being the case. The only issue is Thomas's age is recorded as 45, 10 years younger than what he was... Maybe he lied about his age given his younger wife? All other info seems to confirm that it is Thomas from Darley Dale.
The 1921 census record has no info on Thomas that we can find. Charlotte Ellen Gill(formerly Nicholson) on the marital status section says 'living apart'. His son, George is still in the household with Mabel.
Can't find anything on Thomas whatsoever beyond that... He seems to disappear. Any help would be appreciated!

if you search the 1939 Register for Thomas Gill with birthday 18 04 (do not put in a year) you will find one in an institution in Lincs. He says born 1868, only 2 yrs out. If that is not him it is a big coincidence. He is said to be single and a former general labourer (as are most men around him)
Dave

This is probably his death
Deaths Mar 1940 (>99%)
Gill Thomas 71 Scunthorpe 7a 2176

Dave

Hi David et al,
There is a Spick (if memory serves) Tree on Family Search website, possibly yours..??
It shows a death of 1943 in Derbyshire for a Thomas Gill at the age of 78 (so born about 1865).
BMD also has this same record with the death Reg.for Chesterfield, Dbys.

Possible fit..MAYBE

HAPPY HUNTING:sleuth_or_spy:

Hi Wendy,yes, you are correct it is our tree on familysearch,but the information on Thomas, we have found to be incorrect.

Dave T,.. has given us the above detailed information ,that we looking into at the moment...but thank you for your interest.

David
Suggest you look at Thomas Gill b 1872 living in an all male hostel in Scunthorpe and Frodingham in 1921 census. Marital status is living apart and he was born in Derbyshire, a general labourer. Must be him.
Dave

Hi Dave,sorry for the delay responding,yes, you are spot on ,his birth place is showing as Darley Dale in the 1921 records.He is our man!
We would never have thought of searching with just date and month(omitting the year),the guy was all over the place with his year of birth,I cannot imagine what his motives were??
Its a lesson learnt for us with regards to future searches .I can't imagine we would have found him without your help, so Many thanks..!

Hi Folks,

Looking at FreeBMD.

Between 1866 and 1875 there is only one Thomas Gill whose birth was registered in Bakewell the registration district for Darley Dale.

Thomas Gill June qtr 1866 Bakewell 7b 592. MMN Clay.

There are nine Thomas Gills registered in 7b in the above time frame.
Non in 1872.

Do you have the 1881 census information?

Elaine in Ottawa.

Hi Elaine,thank you for your response,but we now have the answers,thanks to Dave T.the above posts will throw light on the solution.Thanks again.