Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Sarah Elizabeth Dunne

Hi All,
Could anyone please shed any light on the mother of Sarah Elizabeth Dunne, born 1872, Sheffield.
I have got her as marrying Walter Cawthron and her father being James Dunne, but I can't find anything else, so I'm wondering if I have got something wrong.
Thank you in advance for any help.
Jayne

Re: Sarah Elizabeth Dunne

Hi Jayne

On this site from the menu over to the left, Parish Records, then baptisms.

DUNN, Sarah Elizabeth (of 31ct Gilbert St, born 1871-10-07).
Baptised November 20, 1878, by F. Williams at St Luke, Dyers Hill.
Parents name(s) are Mariann & James (draper).
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 62 :Reg No 489

Also these children ;

DUNN, George Walter (of 31ct Gilbert St, born 1874-10-11).
Baptised November 19, 1878, by F. Williams at St Luke, Dyers Hill.
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 62 :Reg No 490

DUNN, James (of 31ct Gilbert St, born 1868-06-17).
Baptised November 20, 1878, by F. Williams at St Luke, Dyers Hill.
Note:
Godparents: ~ :Page No 61 :Reg No 488

Denise

Hi Jayne

On Looking at their marriage

Walter Cawthron (COWTHRON) married an Elizabeth Dunn (no Sarah) on 20 Mar 1892, At St Luke, Dyers Hill. Father James Dunn, Combe Maker.
Address: Ct 31 Granville Street.

I think the baptisms I found on our site have some transcription errors and that the correct address should be Ct 31 Granville Street (as for the marriage) . Also the mothers name could be Miriam as well as Mariann.

So looks like the right family ?

Denise

Change of name?

Children of James CARTER and Miriam BINNEY

GRO births
mmn BINNEY
CARTER, JAMES HENRY 1868 S Quarter in SHEFFIELD
CARTER, SARAH ELIZABETH 1871 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD
CARTER, GEORGE WALTER 1874 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD
CARTER, MIRIAM ANNIE 1877 D Quarter in SHEFFIELD

James CARTER and Miriam BINNEY married in Ecclesall in 1854 when James was a comb maker. So is he the same person as James DUNNE?

Miriam Annie died in 1881 and is in the City Rd burials.

Hugh

1861 census
Sheaf Island (Park, Sheffield)
James DUNN Head Marr 30 Horn Presser YKS Swinefleet
Aaron BINNEY Fa in Law Marr 52 Painter Sheffield
John H [no surname] Bro in Law 9 Scholar Sheffield

In 1851 the BINNEY family were in Rotherham and Aaron was a portrait painter

There are baptisms on this site for three children of Aaron and Sarah BINNEY, including Miriam

Hugh

It seems that James Dunn desertrd his family.
Sheffield Daily Telegraph 11 Nov 1876
"If James Dunn, late of Granville Street, Park, wishes to know anything of his family. he must send his address. 7515"
Dave

Thank you everyone. This has been very enlightening and interesting. Thanks for all taking the time to help me move forward.
Jayne.

When James Carter married Miriam Binney in 1854 in Heeley he said he was 23, a Comb maker and his father was Edward Carter, Bookbinder. There is a James Carter, 20, lodger, in 1851 census and he is a Horn Presser born York so probably correct.
However on checking 1841 census there is a James Dunn, 10 in Silkstone, father EDWARD DUNN, BOOKBINDER.
So it looks like he was actually James Dunn but used the name Carter when he was in his early 20s and he even married in that false name.
Dave

There's an 8 year gap in the ages of the children in the 1841 census which suggests an earlier marriage for one or both parents. The only GRO Yorkshire birth I can find for the youngest is Samuel Norther DUNN in 1839 in Huddersfield RD. His mmn was...CARTER.

Hugh

There are lots of trees at Ancestry for Edward and Elizabeth DUNN. Oddly, although all the ones I looked at had the 1841 census record we have been looking at, none of them lists James as a child of this couple.

What they do have is a marriage for Edward DUNN and Elizabeth CARTER in York in 1834. Edward was a widower, Elizabeth was a spinster.

So Eleanor, James and Lewis were all born before this marriage. *If* Elizabeth was their mother they were technically CARTERs.

According to the trees Lewis is named after his *paternal* grandfather.
Lewis and Eleanor both married as DUNN.

There's an interesting baptismal record for Edward:

York, St Sampson
Born 14 Dec [1799]
Baptised 13 Jan [1800]
Edward '1st child' Dunn
Son of Lewis Austin Dunn Comedian, son of Edward Dun late of Dublin, Clothier
[and]
Catherine Dr of John Bickers of this Parish Publican

Hugh

Edward Dunn married Elizabeth Carter in Nov 1834 in York, so presumably James, born 1831 York, was Elizabeth Carter's illegitimate son,
Dave

Thanks everyone, I have seen a Miriam (Dunn, Carter, Binney) before in someone elses tree, but this one is a bit complicated for me, I'm going to try and think it through, your help is fantastic, I'm really grateful.
Jayne.

Dave,

Yes that seems most likely but the main evidence is his use of the CARTER surname. Edward was in his thirties when they married and had been married before. He had also been born and apprenticed in York whereas elizabeth was from Malton. Lewis must be the son of Edward because of the link to Edward's father. They may all be children of both Edward and Elizabeth, but not necessarily so. Pity we can't find baptisms for them!

Hugh

It is circumstantial but Eleanor became a bookbinder, as did Lewis. James did not so he seems to stand apart from "father" Edward the bookbinder.
Also Eleanor was born Hull. Lewis born York. My guess is that Edwards first wife died in York after she gave birth to Lewis then he married Elizabeth who brought along James.
Dave

Here is Edwards first marriage in St Helen, York 25th June 1826 (FMP)
Edward Dunn, BOOKBINDER and a bachelor married Mary Swinbank, Spinster.
Dave

Hi all

Theres a baptism for;

16 Oct 1831 for a James Carter, illegitimate son of (no forename) Carter, Spinster, a servant of Farlington nr York ???

Denise

Great find Denise.
Below sequenceThis seems to fit well for the mother of Eleanor Dunn (abt 1829 Hull) and Lewis Dunn (abt 1832 York):

Mary Ann Swinback bap 1794 York
1826 York Edward Dunn married Mary Swinback
27 March 1834 Mary Ann Dunn buried York age 38
19th Nov 1834 Edward Dunn (widower) married Elizabeth Carter

Dave