Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Help finding the right Harriet Ann Thompson

I'm going round in circles trying to find the right lady with this name.

Herbert Marshall married Harriet Ann Thompson in the first quarter (January, February, March) of 1903 in Sheffield, Yorkshire. I have their names verified by the birth certificate of their daughter - Jessie.

Harriet Ann Thompson says, in the 1939 Registration, that she was born on 28th November 1882 in Sheffield, Yorkshire.

The indexes of the General Register Office list two births for Harriet Thompson in the right registration district. The first was the second quarter of 1880 with the mother's maiden name of Noonan whilst the other was in the first quarter of 1885 in the same registration district but with the mother's maiden name as Rhodes. Searches of girls born named Harriet and Harriett with a surname of Thompson in the years from 1880 to 1886 revealed no other more likely births.

There is a baptism record (here) of a Harriet on 18th December 1884 in Sheffield, Yorkshire and it quotes the parents as George William Thompson and Sarah Ann.

I've seen on line family trees note Harriet's mother's maiden name as Oldham.

I also found a baptism record (here) for Harriet Ann Thompson born in Danville Street, Sheffield, Yorkshire and baptised on 21st January 1885 at All Souls Church in Brightside, Sheffield, Yorkshire with parents noted as Walter Thompson (a furnace man) and his wife Mary Ann Thompson. A search of marriage records in Sheffield record a marriage on 17th September 1882 in the right registration district of a Walter Thompson to Mary Ann Rhodes.

Searching the birth indexes of the General Register Office of England does not show a birth for a Harriet Thompson in Sheffield, Yorkshire in 1882 nor in the two years either side - 1881 and 1883 - although there is one in 1885 with the mother's maiden name of Rhodes. An online family tree which features Harriet Ann Thompson married to Herbert Marshall quotes the same date of birth information of 28th November 1882 and notes Oldham as Harriet's mother's maiden name. This particular tree does also note that there is a birth record in the first quarter of 1885 with the mother's maiden name of Oldham but another entry for a Harriet Ann Thompson in the first quarter of 1885 with the mother's maiden name of Rhodes.

I cannot find, here, a marriage for Herbert Marshall to Harriet Ann Thompson to confirm her father's name to pin down the right lady.

Any help/suggestions to find the right Harriet and research her life and family in more detail? Thank you.

Re: Help finding the right Harriet Ann Thompson

Audrey, The 1939 register does not record where anyone was born
All you know is that she was living in Sheffield in 1939
Dave

Fair comment but I’m fairly sure of the 1939 entry for Harriet based on other people in the household.

The 1911 census for Herbert Marshall & Harriet Ann 59 Thorndon Road with children William & Jessie (& 2 other Marhsall) has Harriet Ann's age 26 (married 8 years). A good fit for someone born 1885 & married 1903.

Is this your target Harriet?
FreeBMD.org.uk
Deaths Dec 1979 (>99%)
MARSHALL HARRIET ANN 28NO1884 SHEFFIELD 3 1167

In 1921 they were at the same address as in 1911

These are the 2 confused Harriet Ann Thompsons

THOMPSON, HARRIET ANN OLDHAM
GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in ECCLESALL BIERLOW Volume 09C Page 320
THOMPSON, HARRIET ANN RHODES
GRO Reference: 1885 M Quarter in SHEFFIELD Volume 09C Page 553

Masrriage Q1 1903
Marshall Herbert Sheffield 9c 709
Thompson Harriet Ann Sheffield 9c 709

Marriage Q4 1903
Hooper Daniel Sheffield 9c 1038
Thompson Harriet Ann Sheffield 9c 1038

From 1939 Register Harriet Ann Marshall had birthday 28 November and Harriet Ann Hooper had birthday 1 January.

From the page numbers in the two birth registrations the mmn Oldham one was registered in the first few days of January, about 40 days after 28th November 1884 and the mmn Rhodes one was registered in February 1885, about 40 days after 1st Jan.
Also the baptisms of the two were 18th Dec for Oldham and midJanuary for Rhodes

Therefore the Harriet Ann Thompson who married Herbert Marshall was born 28 Nov 1884 to George W Thompson and his wife Sarah Ann nee Oldham. They had married in 1883.
Dave

just going off track a bit but Dave how can you tell by the page numbers when they were registered please?

To Dave T. Your research looks good to me and is exactly the help I needed. I need to confirm Harriet's birth and mother's maiden name to make sure I track the right Harriet through her life to the point she married Herbert Marshall. After her marriage it is easy to track her because my cross-check is Herbert and then the children.

So, thank you very much! It is a bit frustrating the 1903 marriage is not in the indexes here but "c'est la vie" - as we say here in France!

John, simple maths.
Find the first and last page numbers of the particular quarter of the particular reg district. Those pages cover 90.91 or 92 days depending on the quarter. Then it is simple to calculate how far into the quarter the registration took place.
It works very accurately for deaths, quite well for births but not at all for marriages (because of how they are collected together)
Dave

Audrey
If you want ABSOLUTE confirmation you need either the birth cert for the Oldham one (from GRO online, £7 as pdf delivered in a few days by email). The Marriage was probably Reg Office (as too presumably was the Hooper Rhodes marriage). That you could purchase from GRO for £11 but only as paper copy delivered by snail mail.
Dave

Dave: Yes, only a birth or marriage will confirm one or the other and I was trying to make an educated guess which one to go for so you have helped.

For my own family research I would buy PDF birth and death and marriage certificates but I am doing this family as a favour for a maternal cousin on her paternal side and have little/no budget! This website has been an enormous help but I was frustrated not to find a transcription of the 1903 marriage to identify Harriet’s father for a vital clue.

Once again - thank you.

Audrey

I'm still struggling with this family. I can't seem to find George and Sarah Ann Thompson in the 1891 and 1901 census. And, there seems to be no sign of Harriet either.

I must be missing something here ........................... my marbles?!

This seems to be Harriett in 1901:

16 Andrew Lane
Alfred P Parr, head, married, age 39 Spring knife cutler
Alfred P Parr, son aged 2
Sarah A Thompson, widow, boarder aged 37. Spring knife wiper
Harriet A Thompson, boarder, single aged 16. Spring knife wiper
George W Thompson, boarder, single age 14. Spring knife cutler
All born Sheffield

Heths

Excellent - thank you. I tried searching with Sarah Ann and Harriet but didn't see this one. Doh!

And, this tells me that Sarah Ann is a widow so I can look for the death of her husband ......... with fingers crossed.

I'm still struggling to find them in 1891, but in case it helps here is her baptism:

St Bartholomews, Sheffield
18 December 1884
Harriett Ann Thompson, parents George William (razor grinder) and Sarah Ann, of 19 Creswick St.

Heths

Thank you for the baptism information.

I can't find them in 1891 either and haven't found George William Thompson's death either!

Hi Audrey

There's a death for a George William Thompson Born 1853, Died 1st Quarter 1900, Sheffield 9c 391.

Looks like a fit?

Denise

Forget that . I was going on the death year as Sarah Ann was a widow on 1901 census. But He gives his age as 21 on his marriage cert. So not his death!!
Denise

There's a burial at Burngreave in 1898 which might be him

Heather

OK. They do seem to be elusive but two heads are better than one. I hadn’t picked up his age at marriage so that helps.

I can’t see any other children born to George and Sarah other than Harriet and then a younger brother two years later so maybe George (father) died just after the birth of his son - and preventing a larger family.

Anything more on the Burngreave burial? I’m not familiar with the geography.

Hi Audrey,

The Burngreave burials (and others) are on this site. Look over to the links in the column on the left hand side and select "Burial Records"

THOMPSON, George (, age 37).
Died at Sheffield Union; Buried on March 21, 1898 in Consecrated ground;
Grave Number 39, Section G6 of Burngreave Cemetery, Sheffield.
Parent or Next of Kin if Available: . Remarks: 19062 Attending Minister: B L Parkin.
Plot Owner: of . Page No

Heths

Thank you for guidance. Died at Sheffield Union which might suggest the workhouse but perhaps, hopefully, just the infirmary part of it.

Anyone know if Sheffield workhouse records are on line?