Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Wortley Parish Marriage - Ecclesfield?

Hello all

I have a marriage of Elizabeth Millns (1836-1914) to Henry Honor 1830-1886(typo Horner) in Q3 1855 Wortley.
Henry was from Ecclesfield area appearing on the census at Tan Yard which appears to have been near Moonshine Lane, Southey.
Find My Past does not have the Parish Marriage only the England and Wales Marriage Registration (below) Is this an oversight or are marriages at what I presume would be St Mary, Ecclesfield not available?
I wonder if it is on Ancestry or if St Mary records are with SFHS?
It leaves me stuck for fathers to go further.

Elizabeth states she is from Nottinghamahire on the 1901/11 census but on earlier ones she is said to be from all over 'foreign born-Australian' or Aberystwyth. I believe Nottingham is correct as one of their daughters is seen with what appear to be family in Workop 1881 census.

England and Wales Marriage Registration Index, 1837-2005
Text: Page Volume: 9C; Page number: 198; Line Number: 35; Record set: England & Wales Marriages 1837-2005; Subcategory: Civil Marriage & Divorce; Category: Birth, Marriage & Death (Parish Registers); Collections from: United Kingdom, England; Reference http://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=BMD/M/1855/3/AP/001308/035

Andy

Re: Wortley Parish Marriage - Ecclesfield?

She may not have married in Ecclesfield. Wortley covers penistone, Walkley, and parts of Huddersfield and Barnsley. Could only find one Elizabeth Millns born 1835 Clipstone Notts. She is single on the 1851, 1861, 1881 and 1901 census. Found this though, Elizabeth Milnes
Principal
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Christening 1 January 1835 
Penistone, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom 

Parents Betty Milnes. I think the only way to make sure is purchase the marriage certificate. regards Barry

Barry

Thanks for the reply, I discounted the Penistone Millns as she certainly married. Clipstone is a possibility but as I'm sure you are aware names at that time morph and Millns could be Milnes etc. I am aware of Wortley's reach having ancestry from Bradfield.

I have her on every census from 1861 to 1911 where she has my GG Grandfather as her new son in law in the house.
I was just wondering if the marriage was on Ancestry, I have seen missing records on FMP that are on Ancestry.

Andy

Both Ancestry and FMP have marriages at St Mary Ecclesfield in the mid 19th century. However in both cases there are none for the years 1849 to 1856 inclusive.
Dave

Hi Andrew,

*I wonder if it is on Ancestry or if St Mary records are with SFHS?*

All church registers have been deposited with Sheffield Archives.

I dont think S&DFHS have transcribed 1855. I am sure Angela will set us straight if that is not so. The CD I have for Ecclesfield covers 1622-1840 marriages.

I wonder??????

I found the following Elizabeth Milnes Dec qtr 1838 Wortley 22-624

MILNES, ELIZABETH DEARDEN
GRO Reference: 1838 D Quarter in THE WORTLEY UNION Volume 22 Page 624

1841 census Elizabeth Milnes aged 2 Ecclesfield. Wortley. Village of Midhope.

Elaine in Ottawa.

There is a Methodist Church on Moonshine Lane but i'm struggling to find a date of construction.

Some records are from 1934 and marriages are 1975-2002 so you can rule that one out.

Terry

I have just looked at the marriages for the 3q 1854 Henry and Elizabeth did not marry at St Mary's Ecclesfield.

Regards

Terry

Terry

Many thanks for taking the time to look into this for me... back to the drawing board

Andy

Hi Terry,

Southy Chapel Moonshine Lane. Built 1845 but no Marriages until 1956.

I believe that all non conformist were married in a C of E marriage until quite late into the 1800's. Brain still a bit sluggish so if anyone can be more accurate on that I would appreciate it.

Elaine recovering from Covid.

Elaine

I wish you a speedy recovery and I hope one day something will come from a suggestion. Southey is a very feasible idea given the families location.

By the way hello we are kind of related, well I am related to your cousin Wendy.

Andy

Following the Nonconformist Marriages Act of 1836, from 1st July 1837 marriage ceremonies could take place in Nonconformist places of worship provided a registrar was present to prepare and provide the civil registry record.
Dave

Hi Andrew,

Pleased to meet you.

Wendy and I are half related through a "Woodhouse" marriage back in 1771.

My mum was a Woodhouse but we are from the 2nd marriage of William Woodhouse to
Sarah Ward in 1771. They were from Upper Hallam. Totley originally but Stumperlow later.).

Sorry I can't help further with your problem. Covid plays havoc with this old head.

Take care Elaine.

HI. Just seen this on Ancestry it says she was married in Wortley District 1855 Jul-Aug-Sep
Ref 9C 198. Don't know if this.
Stay Safe Dave.

Hi Andrew et al,
A couple of possible census records for ELIZABETH MILLNS

1841: Blaco Hill, Mattersey, Notts.
DAVID MILNES 35 (1806 Notts)
SARAH MILNES 30 (1811 Notts)
JOHN MILNES 6 (1835 Notts)
ELIZABETH MILNES 4 (1837 Notts)
MARY MILNES 3 (1838 Notts)
HANNAH MILNES 2 (1821 Notts)
SAMUEL MILNES 1 (1840 Notts)
GEORGE ATKINSON 20 (1821 Notts)
JOHN GREAVES 15 (1826 Notts)

The above family is in same area in 1851 plus more children and minus son JOHN and daughter ELIZABETH

ELIZABETH MILLNS possibilty in 1851 is a house servant with:
THOMAS WEBSTER 65 (Whitby Yks) HEAD.(Bankers Clerk)
ELIZABETH WEBSTER 62 (1789 Worksop Notts) WIFE
MARY ANN WEBSTER 27 (1824 Worksop) DAU. Single
ANN SUTCLIFFE 17(1834 Notts) House Servant
ELIZABETH MILLNS 15 (1836 Notts) House servant
Happy Hunting:sleuth_or_spy:

Andrew Barker
Terry

Many thanks for taking the time to look into this for me... back to the drawing board

Andy
Andrew,
If you want to find the full details of this marriage you will need to purchase the certificate.
Dave

Look at freereg.org.uk

On that website there is the transcript of a marriage at Ecclesfield St Mary 28th August 1855.

Henry Horner, 26, bachelor, coachman of Tanyard House marrield Elizabeth Mills. 20, spinster of Cliffe House.

Fathers: Peter Horner - cutler. John Mills - farmer
Witnesses: Henry Millns, Sarah Horner.

I think this is the one you want.

Anne

Anne

Many thanks! Also thanks to everyone who sent help.

The marriage is a 100% match. I hadn't thought of Freereg as an avenue but I will be using it in the future for any burning issues.

Andy

Hi Andrew,

We will at a later date transcribe Ecclesfield but in the meantime FreeReg is a good bet.I know for Sheffield they have very little as they would love to use our database.

Take care ...... Elaine.