Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
George Thompson

Searching back to 2011 through the posts on this Forum, there has been plenty of interest in the surname Thompson.
I have a GG grandfather George Thompson who I can find little about.
He was a bricklayer and was alive in 1853. His son John b 1831 married Charlotte Mycock on the 1st of May 1853 at Sheffield Cathedral.
With little knowledge of George I am unable to identify him if there, in this sites burial index

Any connections please !

Re: George Thompson

Hi Roger,

I searched the census for George Thompson’s who were bricklayers and who were living within 20 miles of Sheffield.
It brought up two of them in the right age range:
One was born ca 1804 Bakewell, and was living in Bakewell in 1861.
The other was born ca 1797 Messingham, and was living in Doncaster in 1861.
Are either of these your man?

Heths

John Thompson
Principal
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Baptism 31 December 1830 
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom 

Parents George, Ann.
George Thompson
Groom
England, Yorkshire, Parish Registers, 1538-2016

Marriage 28 February 1826 
Cathedral Church of St Peter and St Paul Sheffield, Sheffield, Yorkshire, England, United Kingdom 

Spouses Ann Parkin. Can only find one John Thompson in Sheffield 1841 census. Thompson, John of Boys Charity School, Sheffield West. Aged 10 years.

Good evening Heather and Barry.

Barry

Spot on there, many thanks.
Are George and Ann buried together I wonder

Heather

Thanks for your contribution, but I doubt there is a connection there. However, information worthwhile retaining

Thanks to you both

Roger

I have in my records a reference to John Thompson age 10 years in the Charity School, this would have been the building still standing adjacent to Sheffield Cathedral on East Parade.
Probably a question never to be answered, what were the circumstances which found him there ?

Looking at this site's burial records, there are a George and Ann Thompson buried together in Burngreave Grave no 68N. Unfortunately, there ages do not correlate with the marriage date information given!

One piece of information leads to another, but presumption is dangerous!!

In the burial records there is a George Thompson age 62 buried 3 August 1869 in Grave 28 J2
described as a Mason
On John's baptism record his father George is described as a Mason

As I commented presumption when researching is dangerous

Found the George Thompson born ca 1807 who was the mason. In the 1851 census in Sheffield he was with a wife called Frances Hadfield Thompson. Their marriage in 1834 says he was a bachelor at the time.

You can definitely exclude the one who was the bricklayer in Bakewell. I found him listed as a mason in 1851, and he had a son John who was only 10 years old.

Heths

Good evening Heather

Referring to Barry's post on the 18th, looks like the marriage you found is George's 2nd

Hi again Heather, apologies, I am not looking hard enough at your post

You say that George is shown as batchelor ??

Getting complicated as usual!

Roger