Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Conflicting date from a burial

Hello all,

I found a gravestone via a Sheffield Indexers search of a relative at City Road this week but it left me with a question.

Tom Oldale born Q3 1847 mother Lidster
He died 28 October 1891 according to the headstone but his burial was 24 October 1891.
Did the stonemason make a mistake or was it a typo on the index?

I am so amazed at the work to do sheffieldindexers.com, my work would have been so much harder without you.

Andy

Re: Conflicting date from a burial

Monday, Oct. 26, 1891
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph
DEATHS
OLDALE – On the 20th inst., at 117, John street, very suddenly, Tom Oldale, in his 44th year, 30 years in the employ of Messrs Thos Ellin and Co., Sylvester Works.

LOCAL INTELLIGENCE
FUNERAL OF A SHEFFIELD VOCALIST.—The interment of Mr. Tom Oldale, a much-respected, vocalist, took place at the Intake Cemetery on Saturday. In addition to the relatives and a large number of musical and other friends, there were present Mr. and Mrs. H. Makin, Mr. and Mrs. W. Shirley, Mr- and Mrs. C. Creswick, Mr. and Mrs. J. Kelley, Messrs. J. Epworth, J. Levick, E. Shemeld, T. Finlay, J. Kay, G. Younge, C. Creswick, jun., S. Kay, J. Williamson, M. Redfern, and T. Charlesworth. Mr. Arthur R. Ellin represented the firm of Thos. Ellin and Co., by whom the deceased was employed for 30 years. The officiating minister, the Rev. R. B. De Wolf, made some appropriate remarks on the sudden death of Mr. Oldale, adding a few words of sympathy, after which the beautiful hymn, "Jesu, lover of my soul," was sung with much pathos. The deceased was in his 44th year, and leaves a widow and three children.

Saturday, Oct. 22, 1892
Publication: Sheffield Daily Telegraph
DEATHS
IN MEMORIAM – OLDALE – In loving memory of Tom Oldale, who departed this life October 20,1891

FamilySearch.org has the burial record:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:CJCN-FNT2
Adds his occupation; and age 43.

Got to be a mistake unless the weathering of the headstone looks like its made it an 8 ive a better one on my family tree the stonemason engraved the wrong YEAR.

John

Thank you so much for the replies and the press reports, they have given me a greater insight into Tom, I had no idea he was an accomplished singer.

When I saw your the post saying the 20th, my first thought was that I had mistaken an 8 for a 0 but I have just blown it right up and it's an 8 for sure so a blunder by someone.

Andy

Andy et al
Mistakes on headstones are not uncommon. This is because headstones are prepared by stonemasons at the request of living family members. They are always After the event and could be up to years after the event. They may not er to the burial record at the cemetery. It is unlikely that a stonemason would make a mistake, He would put down what he was told by the family member.
I note that in your case the grave contains Tom (1891), his widow Jane (1921), their son charles Adams age 40 (1917) and their son Ernest Adam(s)age 18 (1889).
Clearly the GRAVE was purchased in 1889 to bury Ernest, but when, and by whom, was the headstone commissioned and purchased? Was it by Jane in 1891? or was it by another child in 1921 after the death of Jane? In the latter case the mistake would be by that child.
Are all the 4 names on the headstone?
Dave

No Edit function
Correction: for er read refer
Dave

Yes, all the names are on there, here is a link to the stone

https://www.dropbox.com/s/di7c047aurye5dk/CharlesAdamsOldale_Grave.jpeg?dl=0

Dave T
Andy et al
Mistakes on headstones are not uncommon. This is because headstones are prepared by stonemasons at the request of living family members. They are always After the event and could be up to years after the event. They may not er to the burial record at the cemetery. It is unlikely that a stonemason would make a mistake, He would put down what he was told by the family member.
I note that in your case the grave contains Tom (1891), his widow Jane (1921), their son charles Adams age 40 (1917) and their son Ernest Adam(s)age 18 (1889).
Clearly the GRAVE was purchased in 1889 to bury Ernest, but when, and by whom, was the headstone commissioned and purchased? Was it by Jane in 1891? or was it by another child in 1921 after the death of Jane? In the latter case the mistake would be by that child.
Are all the 4 names on the headstone?
Dave
Dave T wrote "It is unlikely that a stonemason would make a mistake"

The family of Fannny Southern (buried at Walkley) might disagree :slightly_smiling_face:

Hugh

Hugh - the Shire Hall in Nottingham might also disagree! The mason carved “County Goal” into their stonework..

Heths