Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
COOPER: Fish and Chips shop, Woodhouse 1930's - 1950's

Hi all.

I wonder if you can help. My Great Grandfather James Walter Cooper owned and ran a Fish'n'chip shop in Woodhouse, Sheffield, which I'm trying to find out more about.

I have three possible addresses for the shop... all in Woodhouse, Sheffield.

A) 61 Hill Street (With Bennett St leading off Hill Street... this is according to my Great Aunt
B) Sheffield Road Woodhouse... According to my Dad
C) Victoria Road, Woodhouse... which is where they lived in the 1939 census

I can't find any reference to it at any of the addresses! So, if anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Nikie

Re: COOPER: Fish and Chips shop, Woodhouse 1930's - 1950's

Hi Nikie

If you look over to the column on the left and select Directories, you’ll see that Paul and Richard have some Kelly’s directories from the period you’re interested in. I suggest you ask them to do a look up for you. I had a quick shufty in my own 1923 directory and James Walter Cooper was listed at 131 Sheffield Rd, Woodhouse, but as a miner.

Heths

PS - there was a fried fish dealer listed at 24 Victoria Rd, Woodhouse. I wonder if he took that shop over??

Ohhh, thanks Heather. Yes, 24 Victoria Road was one of the addresses they lived at so very likely. Thanks you, I'll take a look at the directories.

Yes Coopers did have a fish shop in Victoria Rd Woodhouse ,it is still there about half way down on the left hand side .

Thanks Barbara, that's great to know. I've looked on google maps, but am not finding anything for Victoria Road, Woodhouse, Sheffield. Should I be looking for something different to find it? many thanks. Nikie

Hi Nikie Ii think you should try Picture Sheffield.