Sheffield Indexers

Welcome to our forum ~ please post your questions below.

Sheffield Indexers
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Cottage Homes

Hi there
Can I ask please how many cottage homes there were in Shefield around 1908. I have only heard of Fulwood Cottage Homes but wondered if there were more.
I have come across a school admission record for my gran Glenfinella Hinchliffe born 1903. Admitted 1 December 1908 listing parents as The Guardians 151 Upperthorpe. However where it states previous school the word none is written but it does say Cottage Homes under the reason for leaving.
Her mother had passed December 1907 so I am assuming she went into the Cottage Homes and then was transferred to 151 Upperthorpe. I also do know that she was back with her father and his new,wife by the time of the 1911 census.
I want to see if I can find out why she was moved from her fathers care after her mother's death. I am assuming he couldn't cope. I need to look at the records for 151 Upperthorpe and also the Cottage Homes.
Thanks

Re: Cottage Homes

There were also scattered cottage homes that belonged to the Fir Vale Workhouse.
More info here
https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/
151 Upperthorpe belonged to the Fir Vale Workhouse.
Lyn

Karen
Glenfinella became 5 in November 1908, so she would start school soon after that. Ist December sounds right, and of course she would not have attended a previous school. School starting age was 5 then, so privious school would be NONE.
She later left that school to go to the Cottage Homes, it clearly says so. It should also say when she left to go there (there should be a date).

It is clear that at least the 2 younger children were put into the Firvale Workhouse when their mother died in 1907. They were 6 and 3. Presumably the 6 yr old was put into a cottage home. But at 3 Glen would be put out to 151 Upperthore, an outside home. When she became 5 she was sent to a school local to Upperthorpe, then later she would be transferred to a cottage home, leaving both the school and 151 Upperthorpe. Eventually when the father remarried the two girls would return to their father and stepmother.
Perhaps someone will correct me but I believe the Fir Vale records are no longer extant, so you cannot expect to find any other record of either her or her sister.
Dave

There are admission registers for the homes at Fir Vale covering the early years - they are kept at Sheffield Archives bit some are virtually unreadable in parts. CA.41 (33-36)

There are sometimes a mention of children also in the Children's homes committee records which are within the the Minutes of the Guardians meetings these are kept at Sheff Archives although they do have copy minutes at the Local History library. (central library).
Lyn

Just a point of detail. I have now seen the School record you refer to (on FMP)
It was at Burgoyne Street Infants school, which is close to Uppertholrpe, so it makes sens. However, you said that reason for leaving was Cottage Homes. That is not entirely correct. It says reason for leaving was LEFT THE COTTAGE HOMES. The date was November 1909 (the day is unclear, either 3 or 7).
This means she went back to her father, or maybe some other relative, in November 1909.That is when she lerft the Workhouse system
I note that the father did not remarry until Q3 1910.
Do you have that marriage cert? Was his new wife already living with him at the time of the marriage?
Dave

The marriage is on FMP. Aug 28 1910. She was living at the same address as him before the marriage. That explains how he could take back his daughter from the Cottage Homes system in November 1909.
Dave

Thanks for that Dave but when and how do I find out when she entered the system?
There was her mother's death at the end of 1907 so I am assuming it was after that.
Also why would it have been the Guardians at 151 Upperthorpe entering her into the school and not her father?

Karen
Thanks for that Dave but when and how do I find out when she entered the system?
There was her mother's death at the end of 1907 so I am assuming it was after that.
Also why would it have been the Guardians at 151 Upperthorpe entering her into the school and not her father?
Oops Sorry Dave that read wrong should be
How do I find out when she entered the system and why.
Could she just have been taken or would her father have to have given her up.
Thanks
Karen

Thanks Lyn
I struggle with getting to the Archives/Library now due to being disabled and using a scooter. Do they put anything online do you know?

I have looked in the workhouse register index for the time period and no Hinchliffes were there.

Regards

Terry

The index must be unreliable. I am reading the actual creed register page.

6th April 1909 HINCHLIFFE Gwendoline b 17th Feb 1901 Glenfinella b 4th Nov 1903 father C of E taken from 3 Queens Row and Royal Hospital.Father is Tom Hinchliffe address is workhouse.They were discharged to father on 13th April 1909 mother dead.

Regards

Terry

Earlier entry Karen,1st March 1909 there is Winifred Prudence b 11th March 1897 with them.Address was 12 court 14 house Allen St.C home number is 4 address is workhouse and discharged to father on 20th March 1909 mother dead.

Regards

Terry

Thank you Terry
The 3 young ladies mentioned are correct
My gran is Glenfinella and Gwendoline and Winifred are her older sisters.
I need to read your post to make sure I understand it and where it fits in with the other info I have.
Best Wishes Karen

Terry Ford
The index must be unreliable. I am reading the actual creed register page.

6th April 1909 HINCHLIFFE Gwendoline b 17th Feb 1901 Glenfinella b 4th Nov 1903 father C of E taken from 3 Queens Row and Royal Hospital.Father is Tom Hinchliffe address is workhouse.They were discharged to father on 13th April 1909 mother dead.

Regards

Terry
Hello Terry
Thank you so much for this info. It certainly was something I didn't know about.
Can I ask please, the places you mention ie 3 Queens Row and Royal Hospital. Also Allen Street for Winifred in the other post you kindly did.I am assuming these are where the children were living? Do you know which of the children was where re Gwendoline and Glenfinella? I also wonder why one of them was in the hospital if that was the case?
Thanks again so much for your help.
Karen

At the mo Karen all ican say is i had the idea of identifying the cottage homes, have'nt got very far but 4 seems to be 432 Grimesthorpe Road.

Regards

Terry

Terry
The Hospital history group https://www.sth.nhs.uk/services/a-z-of-services?id=288
have published a book about the scattered homes that has list of all the homes both on site and out in the community. It is based on reports in 1898 and 1907. It tells the process of admitting children and how they decided who should be in the on site homes or moved into the homes within the community. It is very helpful for anyone who had family in the homes in the past.
There is a list here - https://www.workhouses.org.uk/Sheffield/ and after 1930 http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/SheffieldBC/

I am sending Karen some material this weekend and will look at what I can possibly ask Elaine to put on the Sheff Indexers website too.
Lyn